Stopped playing video games

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SirGrotius, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I would have stopped a while ago, but I have to find out what happens at the end of Gears of War 3.

2. otc

otc Senior member

when Blizz releases Diablo3

I will play for sure.

3. gort

gort Senior member

No time. Video games nowadays require a huge time dedication to get good at it, especially if you're into multiplayer.

This so true. It's so shitty now that you can't buy a fighting game and just play without having the instruction manual on your lap trying to memorize 30+ combos.

I bought street fighter IV a year or two ago and tried playing people online thinking I'd do ok and got absolutely shit on. Apparently the world's best street fighter player teaches people lessons for cash. [​IMG]

4. Nil

Nil Senior member

^^^^^^^^

That's one reason, besides the FPS game which are pretty easy for anyone to be good at if you have decent hand-eye coordination, I can't mess with most online multiplayer games. People just get too good for a casual gamer like me.

5. B Hamilton

B Hamilton Senior member

During work I always sike myself up to play, but when I get home I'm just too exhausted. I notice that most things that fade away as I get older actually fade because I don't have the time or energy, not necessarily the desire.

6. uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx Senior member

when i started working the opportunity cost of playing all of a sudden got too high. i can barely even squeeze in working out, running errands and studying...

actually it's not that hard, but I just lost interest, really. not really any good games that are coming out for ps3. just waiting for the next mgs and final fantasy versus at this point

7. jaychiz

jaychiz Senior member

i work in the game industry, it's just about ruined the actual hobby of playing video games for me, i've been shifting to board games

8. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

If it's raining out or some other unbearable weather condition and I know I won't feel guilty about spending hours at a time inside, I'll fire up a video game.

I can usually do other things (art, emails, etc.) while watching tv or a movie, so I'm more likely to do that to minimize my laziness a bit.

9. reactmma

reactmma Well-Known Member

I used to play video games up to 5 hours a day, although 2 - 3 was average from my teens to mid twenties. For the past two years (I'm 31 now), I have barely played video games, if at all. I'll go months at a time without touching one. They used to bring me so much joy; I even beta tested games in the past.

What happened?

I can say from a practical perspective that I have climbed the corporate ladder, so work has definitely invaded my personal life, I'm married, and have a young kid, but still, you think I'd find some time on weekends to at least dabble in the new Fallout Las Vegas (Fallout 3 was the last time I LOVED a video game).

I know the non-video gamers will say, "oh, you grew up you moron!" but there are lots of 30 somethings who enjoy video gaming, create video games, and well, are still awesome.

Anyone have a similar situation? I'm afraid I've just lost any sense of creativity. [​IMG]

Have you tried Xbox Kinect?

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

11. Logan

Logan Senior member

Have you never lost interest in a hobby before? There's been a lot of things I used to love doing when I was younger, but I eventually moved on to other things. Gaming was one of them, but my interest quickly declined as I reached my 20s. I very occasionally still feel the urge to play, but when I do boredom sets in and it's usually switched off again in 5-10 minutes.

+1

I gave my brother my 360 over a year ago and don't regret it. They only time I play video games anymore is at my friends place, maybe once a week for 1-2 hours. And that's just because he is too cheap to do anything else.

12. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

i work in the game industry, it's just about ruined the actual hobby of playing video games for me, i've been shifting to board games
    [​IMG] I love getting together and playing board games with people over beers.

13. gort

gort Senior member

SFII Turbo baby

+1

All I needed to know was fireball, dragon punch, and hurricane kick.[​IMG]

14. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor

i am already in my thirty's and i still play games games fallout3 and starcraft 2 being my favorites. i just had to limit it to 2 to 3 hours a day. i am fortunate that it does not interfere with my my job and family life. i evengot a ati hd graphics card from my wife as a gift [​IMG]

thats a pretty cool wife!

15. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

In what capacity, if you don't mind saying?