• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stopped into the Johnston & Murphy store ...

cmeisenzahl

Reaction score
yesterday after work. Now that I know a little more from reading here I was scared by what I saw.
eh.gif

I tried on a pair of wingtips. Cheap glossy leather that could easily have passed for plastic. There was dried glue seeping out of the seam at the welt. Not particularly comfortable, and they wanted $165 for them.

Next I tried on a similar pair from the 'signature' line. Nicer leather, better seam at the welt, more comfortable. But these were $265. Heck, at that price I could buy another paid of AE at retail!
eh.gif

Felix Krull

Reaction score
J&M has unfortunately gone the way of Florsheim: into the abyss of formerly great shoes that are now cheaply made and over-marketed.

JordanH.

Reaction score
word. i was somewhere and i saw the glossy and cheap types of florsheim. sad, really

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
they still have 2 great models. Aldrich II and Georgetown. I would not hesitate in choosing either of them over AE.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cmeisenzahl
yesterday after work. Now that I know a little more from reading here I was scared by what I saw.
eh.gif

I tried on a pair of wingtips. Cheap glossy leather that could easily have passed for plastic. There was dried glue seeping out of the seam at the welt. Not particularly comfortable, and they wanted $165 for them.

Next I tried on a similar pair from the 'signature' line. Nicer leather, better seam at the welt, more comfortable. But these were $265. Heck, at that price I could buy another paid of AE at retail!
eh.gif

Where are you buying your AE for $265 at retail?

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of their $350+ shoes look pretty decent on their website. Whether their quality is commensurate with their price and whether they offer comparable value to A-E, I will leave to others with more experience with both marques to comment on.

I note the old "Aristocraft" and "Crown Aristocraft" designations are gone.

I would be skeptical of any $265 J&M being preferable to A-E, but I could be prejudiced.

The one pair of J&Ms I bought for my boy some years back were a sore disappointment.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gnatty8
Where are you buying your AE for $265 at retail?

If you have a Jos. A. Bank Corporate Card, which just about anybody can get, you can buy A-Es at a 20% discount. Thus a pair that normally has a full retail of $325 can be had for $260 from JAB--not a bad deal at all. I just ordered a pair of Strands in dark brown from JAB, taking advantage of the the discount.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The brand has degraded beyond recognition...a shame

ebern

Reaction score
Originally Posted by uhurit
The brand has degraded beyond recognition...a shame

I agree 100% with this. I've had two pairs where the soles were worn out with holes in the bottoms within 6 months. Such a waste now

card_richelieu

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Meltons a few months back even though I should have known better but because (1) I love dark burgandy, (2) they fit really well & looked good on me, & (3) they were on deep discount.

After only a few wearings (10-12 max) the creasing behind the cap on the left shoe is really really bad and the laces have already rubbed off the finish right around the eyelets, revealing a rather garish bright red color underneath.

Sorry for the cliche - but you get what you pay for...

polar-lemon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by card_richelieu
I bought a pair of Meltons a few months back even though I should have known better but because (1) I love dark burgandy, (2) they fit really well & looked good on me, & (3) they were on deep discount.

After only a few wearings (10-12 max) the creasing behind the cap on the left shoe is really really bad and the laces have already rubbed off the finish right around the eyelets, revealing a rather garish bright red color underneath.

Sorry for the cliche - but you get what you pay for...

*cues DocHolliday's infamous pic of destroyed J&M's after one wearing*

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I only purchase shoe trees from them.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I only purchase shoe trees from them.

I ended up using my J&M's for wet weather shoes. The corrected grain finish easily repelled water after a layer of Kiwi wax. I didn't even know J&M made shoe trees. I usually just stuffed them with newspaper after wearing.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of J&M chukkas I got a clearance recently -- good with jeans during the wettish shoulder seasons

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads