• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stop high rise pants from falling

flvinny521

Reaction score
I've got a few pairs of high-rise pants that look great when I first put them on. They sit just a cm or two below my belly button. However, within a few minutes of walking around, the waist has fallen down significantly. It's not like the entire pant has slid down, but just the waistband has dropped and created folds of excess fabric above the crotch.

Is this just because the fabric is too lightweight? Could some alteration help maintain the altitude?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are likely to be cut for braces.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you are a belt wearer then your pants will usually tend to sit wherever they sit based on your anatomy. High waisted trousers will fall to that spot naturally. This isn’t a problem so long as you adjust the inseam accordingly. Alteration might help if you want them to sit at a certain place but the real answer is suspenders.

flvinny521

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that I do use suspenders when I'm wearing a jacket. The problem I am having is on more casual pants when I'm not. Sounds like maybe there's not much that can be done with them except embrace a "normal" rise.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with @Caustic Man . If your body has a smaller circumference below where the trousers are cut to sit, they will inevitably slide downwards without suspenders.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Get used to wearing braces all the time and you may never go back to belts...so much more comfortable.

That said, I wear a bespoke Clan tartan kilt ever now and again that was designed to rise to the bottom of my rib cage--the belt I wear with it for casual occasions is three inch wide

Last edited:

flvinny521

Reaction score
Get used to wearing braces all the time and you may never go back to belts...so much more comfortable.

Yes, I agree they are much more comfortable. However, in my climate, I very frequently wear only a shirt and no jacket.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, I agree they are much more comfortable. However, in my climate, I very frequently wear only a shirt and no jacket.
Well, pardon me if I don't know what that has to do with it. I wear braces all the time...jacket or no jacket. Sometime i wear braces when I'm not wearing a shirt.

flvinny521

Reaction score
Well, pardon me if I don't know what that has to do with it. I wear braces all the time...jacket or no jacket. Sometime i wear braces when I'm not wearing a shirt.

Fair enough, I suppose I could do the same, however I have been in the habit of treating suspenders as an undergarment and only wearing them when they won't be visible.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I understand the sentiment but you know braces have long been made in silks and stylish patterns and been deliberately designed as a critical accessory. No need to hide them.

flvinny521

Reaction score
I understand the sentiment but you know braces have long been made in silks and stylish patterns and been deliberately designed as a critical accessory. No need to hide them.

Maybe I'll give it a shot and embrace being "that guy who always wears suspenders." There are certainly worse things one could have said about them...

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Life is full of compromises and clothing is no exception. I like suspenders as much as anyone but I deal with belts, which aren't really that bad, because I don't like my suspenders showing when I don't wear jackets. It's up to you. Just make sure that you adjust the inseam length to allow for where your pants naturally fall and you'll be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads