• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stop clinging to the past

ozymandias

Reaction score
Browsing the menswear section I notice more and more outfits that are out of date. Now true, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but at times I question their choices. It is not even the case of old men refusing to let go of their wardrobe, but 30 somethings wearing something their fathers probably would not have worn. It is understandable why some would make that choice; the past along with the clothing carried sophistication, a different attitude. Great man used to dress as such, and they had an air about them seldom to find today.

But times have changed, T-shirts can even be worn without judging glances. Fedoras went from an accessory of every real men to something reserved for those attempting to be ironic, and those that are typically socially inept. Sad but true, as fashion changes it leaves you no choice but to adapt. The attitude about clothing cannot be dismissed as fashion is an expression of self, and disregarding thus attitudes changes the interpretation of your self-expression. Rick Blaine would never dress as such today. As a men he would dress in such a way that would project what he is, instead of someone who is grasping at the past.

So for you Mr. 60s, and Mr. Homes, your fashion should be inspired by the past, not come from it. No it doesn't make you sophisticated, or refined, au contraire it shows that you lack the social intellect and cultural awareness to change yourself.

-A

ama

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
This threak is absolute perfection, can we lock it and put it at the top of this forum?

+1

lurker[1].gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why Uggs are so popular is beyond me. They do nothing to feed my boot fetish.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing makes me want to hump a girl more than seeing a chick in uggs and leggings. Both are fashion travesties (really just because of their ubiquitousness) but damn the combination is sexy on a hot, leggy chick.

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I approve UGGs when worn by the specimens pictured above

Mr T

Reaction score
Can anyone post in this epic thread?

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr T
Can anyone post in this epic thread?

No. You must have at least 758 posts. Fortunately for you your last illigitimate post qualified you to post legitimately. Good luck.

FYI. This thread is epic.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the only thing that made it epic was the 2nd post. tremendous unitentional comedic timing
lol8[1].gif

Montrachet

Reaction score
This is why I only wear Walmart jeans.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Why Uggs are so popular is beyond me. They do nothing to feed my boot fetish.

because Uggs is the future, and you're probably clinging with your dated concept of footwear you heathen.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
No. You must have at least 758 posts. Fortunately for you your last illigitimate post qualified you to post legitimately. Good luck.

FYI. This thread is epic.

Where the hell have you been?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads