• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stoopid Kwestion: Ticket Pockets - Right or Left?

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a standard placement for the ticket pocket (right side or left), or should it depend on your handedness?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right side. The only reason to place iot on the left side is if the wearer is left-handed. But with the breast pocket and boutonniere on that side, I would find it too cluttered and balance better achieved on the right side.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Margaret
Is there a standard placement for the ticket pocket (right side or left), or should it depend on your handedness?

about 2 years ago, we had a similar discussion. I believe that I am the only one who has suits made with left handed ticket pockets. I like it that way - so I would suggest you stick with right handed.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
or two on the right, one on the left. In case you go to a raffle ticket convention

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
about 2 years ago, we had a similar discussion. I believe that I am the only one who has suits made with left handed ticket pockets. I like it that way - so I would suggest you stick with right handed.

Ha -- well ok, I'll defer to convention to preserve your individuality.
tongue.gif

Actually, being a morally-sound, mentally-balanced heterosexual rightie, I'd lean towards the right side anyway
smile.gif
-- it's just that the graphic for the ticket pocket option on the baronboutique website shows it on the left, so it got me a-wonderin'...

Originally Posted by whoopee
Right side. The only reason to place iot on the left side is if the wearer is left-handed. But with the breast pocket and boutonniere on that side, I would find it too cluttered and balance better achieved on the right side.

Good point. One wouldn't want to appear to be left-leaning.

luk-cha

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
i would say for guy right and for lasses left as it is for some chest pockets too!

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ha -- well ok, I'll defer to convention to preserve your individuality.
tongue.gif

Actually, being a morally-sound, mentally-balanced heterosexual rightie, I'd lean towards the right side anyway
smile.gif
-- it's just that the graphic for the ticket pocket option on the baronboutique website shows it on the left, so it got me a-wonderin'...

Good point. One wouldn't want to appear to be left-leaning.

I use mine for a cell phone, and am left handed, so it fits me well.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm left-handed, but still prefer ticket pockets on the right. Jackets just look unbalanced to me with the breast pocket, hip pocket, and a ticket pocket all on the left side. Of course, I keep all exterior pocket sewn closed and only use the interior pockets, so my ticket pockets are nothing more than a fashion detail.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, hidden inner pockets sewn inside the outer pockets hold change and tickets very well. Something to consider if you are looking for functionality and not "style".

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking my own thread off topic: does anyone have pockets sewn in for their pens? Well, not so much 'pockets' as 'channels', I suppose. I find that a substantial pen often makes the inside pocket sag. Also, I don't like the way a pen tends to shift around in all that space, and it gets in the way and makes the pocket unnecessarily cluttered if I also want to put a handkerchief in there.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taking my own thread off topic: does anyone have pockets sewn in for their pens? Well, not so much 'pockets' as 'channels', I suppose. I find that a substantial pen often makes the inside pocket sag. Also, I don't like the way a pen tends to shift around in all that space, and it gets in the way and makes the pocket unnecessarily cluttered if I also want to put a handkerchief in there.

I have several RTW suits with interior pen pockets just below the left chest pocket. I was beginning to think it was a standard feature.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Standard pockets that tailors will put in are usually an inner breast pocket on both sides, a pen pocket on left, and lower pokcet on right. You can always ask for more or less.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thinman
I have several RTW suits with interior pen pockets just below the left chest pocket. I was beginning to think it was a standard feature.

I have them on just a couple of sportscoats I think. I'll have to check when I get home.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
Standard pockets that tailors will put in are usually an inner breast pocket on both sides, a pen pocket on left, and lower pokcet on right. You can always ask for more or less.

What's that lower inside supposed to be for? I occasionally use it for change or (horrors) my cell, but I've never been sure what the intended purpose is...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics