Stoopid Kwestion: Ticket Pockets - Right or Left?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Margaret, Jun 8, 2006.

1. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Is there a standard placement for the ticket pocket (right side or left), or should it depend on your handedness?

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Right side. The only reason to place iot on the left side is if the wearer is left-handed. But with the breast pocket and boutonniere on that side, I would find it too cluttered and balance better achieved on the right side.

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Is there a standard placement for the ticket pocket (right side or left), or should it depend on your handedness?

about 2 years ago, we had a similar discussion. I believe that I am the only one who has suits made with left handed ticket pockets. I like it that way - so I would suggest you stick with right handed.

4. zjpj83

zjpj83 Senior member

indeed. On the right.

5. Get Smart

Get Smart Don't Crink

or two on the right, one on the left. In case you go to a raffle ticket convention

6. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

about 2 years ago, we had a similar discussion. I believe that I am the only one who has suits made with left handed ticket pockets. I like it that way - so I would suggest you stick with right handed.

Ha -- well ok, I'll defer to convention to preserve your individuality. [​IMG]

Actually, being a morally-sound, mentally-balanced heterosexual rightie, I'd lean towards the right side anyway [​IMG] -- it's just that the graphic for the ticket pocket option on the baronboutique website shows it on the left, so it got me a-wonderin'...

Right side. The only reason to place iot on the left side is if the wearer is left-handed. But with the breast pocket and boutonniere on that side, I would find it too cluttered and balance better achieved on the right side.

Good point. One wouldn't want to appear to be left-leaning.

7. luk-cha

luk-cha Senior member Dubiously Honored

i would say for guy right and for lasses left as it is for some chest pockets too!

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Ha -- well ok, I'll defer to convention to preserve your individuality. [​IMG]

Actually, being a morally-sound, mentally-balanced heterosexual rightie, I'd lean towards the right side anyway [​IMG] -- it's just that the graphic for the ticket pocket option on the baronboutique website shows it on the left, so it got me a-wonderin'...

Good point. One wouldn't want to appear to be left-leaning.

I use mine for a cell phone, and am left handed, so it fits me well.

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

I'm left-handed, but still prefer ticket pockets on the right. Jackets just look unbalanced to me with the breast pocket, hip pocket, and a ticket pocket all on the left side. Of course, I keep all exterior pocket sewn closed and only use the interior pockets, so my ticket pockets are nothing more than a fashion detail.

10. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

By the way, hidden inner pockets sewn inside the outer pockets hold change and tickets very well. Something to consider if you are looking for functionality and not "style".

11. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Taking my own thread off topic: does anyone have pockets sewn in for their pens? Well, not so much 'pockets' as 'channels', I suppose. I find that a substantial pen often makes the inside pocket sag. Also, I don't like the way a pen tends to shift around in all that space, and it gets in the way and makes the pocket unnecessarily cluttered if I also want to put a handkerchief in there.

12. thinman

thinman Senior member

Taking my own thread off topic: does anyone have pockets sewn in for their pens? Well, not so much 'pockets' as 'channels', I suppose. I find that a substantial pen often makes the inside pocket sag. Also, I don't like the way a pen tends to shift around in all that space, and it gets in the way and makes the pocket unnecessarily cluttered if I also want to put a handkerchief in there.

I have several RTW suits with interior pen pockets just below the left chest pocket. I was beginning to think it was a standard feature.

13. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Standard pockets that tailors will put in are usually an inner breast pocket on both sides, a pen pocket on left, and lower pokcet on right. You can always ask for more or less.

14. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

I have several RTW suits with interior pen pockets just below the left chest pocket. I was beginning to think it was a standard feature.

I have them on just a couple of sportscoats I think. I'll have to check when I get home.

15. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

Standard pockets that tailors will put in are usually an inner breast pocket on both sides, a pen pocket on left, and lower pokcet on right. You can always ask for more or less.

What's that lower inside supposed to be for? I occasionally use it for change or (horrors) my cell, but I've never been sure what the intended purpose is...