• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stone island, c.p. company

Stone

Reaction score
What do you all think of these companies? I dunno why, but the pseudo-militaristic thing kind of appeals to me. The construction of the stuff looks good.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about them... see stuff by them on Ebay a lot. Certainly priced like they are well made. I think Saks might carry them in their stores?

thc

Reaction score
I love CP Company; Stone Island, not so much, but they make good jeans. CP Company has a store here in NYC down in SoHo and the store is great. My favorite article of clothing is this greyish-bluish sweater I bought there with a polo collar made of a cotton/elasthane blend. The staff at the store is great and are good at making recommendations.

I like CP Company because they really maintain a good balance of mixing the latest developments in textile technology and making the clothes still look wearable. They had this great jacket that was hand painted in rubber which actually looked great. Of course, they have their misses, but who doesn't. I think CP Company is great, and I'm glad they have a store here in New York.

Joe G

Reaction score
I concur completely with thc on CP Company, although my favourite pieces this year wear the rubberised zip cardigan and the mille migila racer's coat. Really nice stuff, high-tech but wearable, and well finished. I wouldn't call either piece (or the collection as a whole) particularly military, though.

Stone Island I've never heard of.

Peace,

JG

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like C.P. Company stuff, although recently, their fabrics have taken a turn towards the bizarre, with more and more use of metal, for the crinkled look, I imagine. The cut is pretty generous for an Italian brand, and there is always good attention to detail in a lot of their pieces. I find more Stone Island stuff just a notch below, and not really up to snuff for the prices. Also, the overt branding rubs me the wrong way.

In the UK however, both brands are sort of associated with football hooliganism (while in the States, they are generally sold at better retailers and high end specialty shops), so be careful about that...

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i second what thc says. CP Company seems to have a very unique clothing line and i think a lot of it comes from their crazy fabrics. unfortunately, they are also rather pricey.

enter Yoox! i have a very cool waxed linen safari jacket from them that i bought off Yoox (~$100). and last season they had an insulated dark brown waxed cotton jacket that i bought (also from Yoox...~$200) and now that i think about it, should not have returned. but the fabric was just amazing. really hard to describe.

no experience with their pants, shirts, sweaters, etc.

oh, and if you haven't done so already, definitely check out: http://www.stoneisland.co.uk/

-Jeff

gza

Reaction score
CP Company is a great innovator when it comes to fabrics and details in their jackets. The cut is generous as LA Guy mentioned, and the rest of their line strikes me as mostly run of the mill sportswear, although I have a couple knits that I like.

I actually bought and kept that waxed cotton jacket from Yoox after gamelan returned it, and I agree it's a very cool fabric - the look they achieved is quite similar to distressed leather.

It's funny how the same brands that are considered upscale and exclusive in the states are so stigmatized by their chav/casual association on the other side of the water.

Flame

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gza
It's funny how the same brands that are considered upscale and exclusive in the states are so stigmatized by their chav/casual association on the other side of the water.
Case in point, Burberry
devil.gif

trogdor

Reaction score
Was it stone island or CP company that made that wicked coat with goggles embedded in the hood? You could put the hood up, and it would come to halfway down your face, but you could still see out because of the goggles. Kind of like a "balaclava from above." Awesome. [EDIT] Found it; it's the CP company Mille Miglia coat:
4G62.jpg
You can pull the hood down so the CTV cameras can't see you when you're fighting with Millwall fans
wink.gif

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by trogdor
Was it stone island or CP company that made that wicked coat with goggles embedded in the hood? You could put the hood up, and it would come to halfway down your face, but you could still see out because of the goggles. Kind of like a "balaclava from above." Awesome. [EDIT] Found it; it's the CP company Mille Miglia coat:
4G62.jpg
You can pull the hood down so the CTV cameras can't see you when you're fighting with Millwall fans
wink.gif

That immediately made me think of Dylan Moran in BlackBooks
laugh.gif
Millwall! That's the one. Do you know this chant? 'Millwall, Millwall, you're all really dreadful, and all your girlfriends are unfulfilled and alienated... '

Osti

Reaction score
Hi all,just thought id give an opinion from the other side of the pond! I love C.P. Company/Stone Island,though i favour the superior CP as its generally more discreet than its mouthy little brother S.I. Though both brands are very well made & designed. Here in England S.I. used to be associated with football hooligans in the late 80's & 90's but is now linked with chav culture {bit like Burberry!} I say Stone Island but it is mainly the button-on badge on the left arm which evokes this notion,hence when i wear my old jumpers & jackets i remove the badge! Also alot {most?} of it is fake,so when i see the badge i laugh,which is sad because that guy could have paid $300 for it! As for CP Company they are an amazingly innovative brand that have over the years {in my opinion} consistently made the best mens clothing on the market,whether your a city boy or a casual! The infamous 'Goggle' coat talked about earlier in this forum is called a 'Mille Miglia' which is named after a car street race {hence the goggles} & is a cult classic & has now been released in a few different designs with the goggles in the hood which un-pop to cover your eyes & also the Explorer version which completely covers the face! {you can see me wearing my prized 50% Hemp CP Explorer on your left!} The only downside to CP Company is the price,but as they say you get what you pay for!

R.I.P. Massimo Osti

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered a sport coat in IT48/US38 from C.P. Company.
Conclusion is: size-up one full size!
I am 38 regular or IT 48 in all grown-up designer brands, but this teenage brand is just not the right size.
My general impression of the brand is: cheap materials, poor stitching but some creativity a-la urban street wear.
Unfortunately lately so many new and old brands make this type of clothing that the whole novelty of C.P. & Stone Island wore off on me.
Hilarious booklet that came with this sport coat stated that all crappy fabric and craftsmanship in fact should be appreciated by the wearer as a sign of uniqueness of this garment. Brilliant .
smile.gif

In short if you just "graduating" from GAP and American Eagle you'd be impressed with C.P. styling and "attention to details".

Conclusion: Overpriced junk for high school kids.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Right on 'Osti'.
Up until I left London last year, unfortunately Stone Island was 'de rigour' for the 'Yobbo' culture. CP on the other hand, each season comes up with some absolutely stunning pieces, with an innovative use of materials. Great fitting Polo's and Jeans.
Full retail is insane. I always waited for the January sales.
My wife is also rather partial to their CP 'Donna' line.
I have not seen to much of it on the west coast.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads