• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stone colored suit, quick color question

Beta

Reaction score
Girlfriend got me a stone colored cotton suit (very light in color). Modern cut jacket, flat front pants.

this is it....I think she did pretty good for $200.
http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...002&tid=brfr1r

Event is a wedding on friday.

She is wearing a black dress, wants me to wear a black tie and black shoes with this outfit.

Will this look ridiculous? All of my better shoes are black (i have a single monk and a wingtip that are decent, which ones?), but I had originally intended to wear a navy w/ white dots tie/ white shirt/ white PS/ ****** brown loafers.

Should i ditch the belt?

kind of going for the look in this thread, but the color is much lighter.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=126082

Thanks guys.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beta
Will this look ridiculous?
Ummm, I'd have to say probably. Someone may ask you to refresh their drink. Are you sure you want to wear a light cotton suit to a wedding anyway?

Beta

Reaction score
Its hot as **** here in florida.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Girlfriend got me a stone colored cotton suit (very light in color). Modern cut jacket, flat front pants.

She is wearing a black dress, wants me to wear a black tie and black shoes with this outfit.

Will this look ridiculous? All of my better shoes are black (i have a single monk and a wingtip that are decent, which ones?), but I had originally intended to wear a navy w/ white dots tie/ white shirt/ white PS/ ****** brown loafers.

Should i ditch the belt?

kind of going for the look in this thread, but the color is much lighter.
http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=126082

Thanks guys.

It'll look fine with black shoes and a black tie. I love brown shoes as much as the next guy, but there's nothing wrong with a black shoe, monk or wingtip. Better than ****** brown loafers in any case. You didn't mention a belt, but just make it black and you're good to go.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is confirmation that the idea that women instinctively know style is a lie. If you are wearing a tan/beige/stone/khaki suit with black shoes and a black tie, you will look like a douche.
Originally Posted by Macallan9
It'll look fine with black shoes and a black tie. I love brown shoes as much as the next guy, but there's nothing wrong with a black shoe, monk or wingtip. Better than ****** brown loafers in any case. You didn't mention a belt, but just make it black and you're good to go.
Keep your yap shut if you don't know what you're talking about.

Macallan9

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
Ummm, I'd have to say probably. Someone may ask you to refresh their drink.

Are you sure you want to wear a light cotton suit to a wedding anyway?

Light cotton suit is pretty standard fare for a summer wedding...

Beta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
This is confirmation that the idea that women instinctively know style is a lie. If you are wearing a tan/beige/stone/khaki suit with black shoes and a black tie, you will look like a douche.

Keep your yap shut if you don't know what you're talking about.

No, I know this, she suggests bad **** all the time and loves square toe shoes etc. I tried it on and I wasn't sure, the navy was what I had in my mind before. Option 2 is to wear like a navy or red tie with some black in it, but the navy with white dots looked good. I may just have to buy emergency brown shoes.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Macallan9
there's nothing wrong with a black shoe, monk or wingtip.

There's nothing wrong with black shoes in principle, for example with a navy suit, but with that particular suit they will look ridiculous.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
black shoes are too dark with this suit.

Dude, a 3 piece? i hope you're not really planning to wear a vest at a summer wedding in florida.

Your navy dots tie sounds good.

I would go out and buy a pair of brown captoes.

Beta

Reaction score
sorry, forgot to mention no vest. agree that would look marsupialed, just the regular jacket and pants.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Please find yourself a pair of shoes that complement the suit, even white bucks or a light-coloured loafer, and a light coloured tie - blue, pink, a combination of these and other appropriate colours. Your belt should be a fairly close match to your shoes.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Summer colors would certainly work better, i'd go with a pink dots tie for the ultimate combo.

I meant to say Tan captoes earlier. Since its a more formal occasion i would go with captoes.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should i ditch the belt?

Where to begin. First, your girlfriend really should reconsider wearing a black dress. This is wrong on multiple levels. Though the rule is, unfortunately, loosening, women wearing black at weddings is not really in the best of taste. Second, assuming this wedding is during the day, she shouldn't be wearing black anywhere. Third, it's a bad idea to be wearing black when it is "hot as ****" anywhere.

As to your outfit, black shoes and khaki/stone suit look too military/security guard. Cordovan is OK. Brown is probably better, maybe in suede for extra points -- but not loafers.

The tie might be OK. The pocket square, probably not. With a light suit and a white shirt, you'll want something with a bit more visual interest. I think no PS would be better than a white one. It's sometimes amazing how much details like your PS and shoes make or break a light suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics