• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stolen goods on e-bay

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with AHarris and frankly I really resent the notion that Ebay sellers should be suspected of selling counterfeit or stolen merchandise but this is a common story you hear from retailers.

The major labels have their own watchdogs watching Ebay and Ebay comes down hard on sellers who sell such things.

You can't knock off an Oxxford suit - to do so would be next to impossible (unless you had Kiton do it.) and not worth the effort. Same thing on shoes and most clothing items.

Ties and accessories are knocked off and sold in lots of internet stores - and on every street corner in Rome, Florence and Milan. Telling the difference is not hard as very few fakes are passable as the real thing.

Does it happen? Sure it does but it happens elsewhere as well and it is very much the exception, not the rule.

A perfect example of how Ebay sellers can sell waaaay under retail: I go to Italy 5-6 times each year and we have been able to procure things such as 150 suits and sportcoats, NWT, for less than 1/3 of wholesale. Obviously you need $15k cash in hand to make such deals but overstocks are out there if you do your homework and bust your tail. I also know a few places where i can clean up on overstocks of high end designer stuff - you can't knock off any of the handmade stuff very easily and it would never pass muster with someone who knows the label. 1-2 feedbacks saying 'this seller sold me a fake' and an ebay seller is finished.

If you see a fake on Ebay - report it to the label and Ebay. Most of the stories about Ebay being filled with stolen/counterfeit goods are nothing more than rumors started by pissed off retailers who are gettin undercut.

If you deal with sellers with strong feedback histories, pay by credit card through paypal and know your merchandise ebay is very low risk.

There are what, 50 million ebay auctions going on at the moment? I'd challenge anyone to post a link to one offering knockoff Oxxford, Kiton, Canali etcetera or one you think is stolen and why. ...but have a better reason than "the price is cheaper than wholesale".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads