• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stocking up on Charles Tyrwhitt, help!

kwright11

Reaction score
Hey,
I'm thinking of buying a number of CT shirts and need some sizing help.
I'm 6'1, about 190 pounds, athletic build (college athlete). Some examples of shirts that fit me well right now would be polo custom fit size large, and I wear a 16.5, 34.
That said, I was wondering how much of a difference the slim fit really is from the classic fit? If there was a shirt I really liked in the classic fit would I still be comfortable with the fit?

Also, for the casual shirts, I was thinking I would need a size medium as I dont like to wear my shirts overly big, or would I still need a large?

Thanks alot guys!

uNiCoRnPriNcEsSx

Reaction score
I would just get the slim fit, since classic is mainly for people that ar e getting fat. I'm built similar to you, 5'11" 175ish, 15.5' 34" in shirts, and I was considering going extra slim fit in Brooks Brothers...

As for your second question, refer to their sizing chart. Usually the top range of medium is like 38R, so if your suit size exceeds that, you might want to try a large.

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
do not buy unless on serious discount!!!
buy one of each buy a few different typesand sizes and return the ones you do not like
remember that collars will shrink 1/2" and sleeves as much as 3/4

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwright11
Hey,
I'm 6'1, about 190 pounds, athletic build (college athlete). Some examples of shirts that fit me well right now would be polo custom fit size large, and I wear a 16.5, 34.
That said, I was wondering how much of a difference the slim fit really is from the classic fit? If there was a shirt I really liked in the classic fit would I still be comfortable with the fit?

Also, for the casual shirts, I was thinking I would need a size medium as I dont like to wear my shirts overly big, or would I still need a large?

Thanks alot guys!

I am 6'1 and 211 pounds, with a little bit of a gut. The CT slim fit fit me perfect (16.5 34), and should not be a problem on you unless you have a massive chest.

michael_legeek

Reaction score
To second an earlier post, do wait until the discounts are back on. The 4-for-£100 deal ended less than a week ago, and the current Sale prices are mostly just their standard-level discount. You can do better, and my expectation is you won't have to wait terribly long.

And to second or third a couple of other earlier posts, yes, get your measurements and compare them to the sizing chart. It worked quite well for me. I take CT's Slim fit, and while not portly I am nobody's idea of skinny. But if you see a Classic fit that you like, you can always get it and find someone to alter it to better fit your body.

Chargersfan

Reaction score
Yeah everything at CT seems to be on 'sale' like 51 weeks a year...it's just the week before Xmas that there's no deal...such as it it.

kwright11

Reaction score
Alright thanks guys,
I kind of assumed all the CT shirts were on a pretty good sale right now, but it sounds like it gets better. I'll hold off, hopefully some after christmas sales will come through.
I wear a 42 reg. suit. The biggest problem with getting things to fit are my shoulder (very wide), so it sounds like I should stick with the large.
Thanks for the help!

michael_legeek

Reaction score
If you're in the UK you may also want to have a look at Harvie & Hudson -- they do have a sale on, their shirts are very well reputed (though I don't yet own any) and their sizing chart is somewhat different.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 on waiting for a sale they have them all the time 1/2 off at least

i bought their super 180s shirt a while back not pleased, it wrinkles when you look at it and is waaaaaay too thin, i got a few of their reg non iron shirts too, i had to send them back because they smelled like fish true story

kwright11

Reaction score
BTW, I'm also looking at the CT casual shirts which say they are classic fit. Is a large going to run really wide?
are there any similar brands where their casual shirts fit rather slim as well?
Thanks again

WildeMan

Reaction score
I second the suggestion to check out Harvie & Hudson, although I acknowledge that it isn't the question you asked.

At 33 GBP, I think their shirts are the best value around.

FWIW, I wear the slim fit line, and I am by no means slim. The only drawback is that there are no button cuffs in slim fit. I buy their inexpensive silk knotted cufflinks to dress the shirts down.

graymerica

Reaction score
I am almost the exact same size/weight (1 inch shorter) and love the CT slim fit shirts.

I find them well made and they hold up nicely to laundering.

I buy them when they are marked down to $40-60 and have been happy woth them so far

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwright11
Hey,

Thanks alot guys!

The actual sizes of the shirts for each fit, given the chest and waist for each neck/sleeve combination, should be marked on a chart on CT's site, and from my experience, are generally accurate within an inch or less. Compare those to what you feel is your best fitting shirt and you'll be fine.

My feeling is that you will be best off with the slim fit shirts unless your chest is more than 44 inches. I vaguely remember that CT's slim fits running about 1 or 2 inches slimmer than BB's in the same size. So if that is correct, that would put CT's slim fit at size 16.5 at about 48 inches (since I am pretty sure BB's slim fits run at 50 inches at size 16.5), which would be perfect for a 42 or 43 inch chest, and wearable at 44 inch chest, assuming a normal athletic build.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads