1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

stocking a fridge

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by robbie, Jun 4, 2010.

1. robbie

robbie Senior member

I scanned the 'stocking a kitchen' thread, but don't feel the advice in it fits what I am looking for.

My wife and I will be moving very soon and so our fridge, and everything in it will be eaten or disposed of.

Once moved, We will need to purchase new condiments and other long shelf life items .

I am looking for ideas as to what should go into my fridge once i've moved.

(mustards,dressings,jams/preserves, et cetera)

-rF

2. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Senior member

3. JJN

JJN New Member

Sriracha hot sauce.

4. Milpool

Milpool Senior member

Sriracha
    Mayo (I prefer the stuff from a Latin market)
    Dijon mustard (get the biggest jar possible, it goes fast)
    Various pickles (home made and store bought)
    Maraschino cherries (for drinks, get good ones)
    Make the jams yourself when the fruit is in season
    Thai curry paste
    various types of chutney (I'm considering making this myself too)
    Some other picante sauces
    Thai sweet chile sauce
    Soy sauce
    Maple syrup
    Ketchup

Probably other stuff that I'm forgetting.

5. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

I was thinking this was going to be more a thread about how to stock a fridge for hosting unexpected guests. EDIT: Fuck it, let's turn this into that thread. This is what's in my fridge at the moment. - 6 pack of Coke - bottled water - Pellegrino - decent tonic water and club soda - Noilly Prat - limes - various ready-to-eat dried and cured pork products - cornichons - whatever block of cheese I last bought from Whole Foods - whatever Belgian or American micro brews I last bought - easy to recognize, decent, yet not great beer so people don't drink the above ^ - bottle of inexpensive dry champagne that isn't headache inducing This is usually enough to get by in the event of an impromptu get together (which seems to happen quite often).

6. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

this stuff should all be thrown out or finished within a couple months of opening. You're a heathen if you can't afford to replace basic condiments, and if you can't handle the responsibility of more exotic condiments, don't fuck with them.

7. robbie

robbie Senior member

this stuff should all be thrown out or finished within a couple months of opening. You're a heathen if you can't afford to replace basic condiments, and if you can't handle the responsibility of more exotic condiments, don't fuck with them.
    I understand this, I tend to stick with 'safe' condiments because many can be costlier if one isn't absolutely sure they'll be used. I know which condiments I will need to replace,when to replace them, et cetera. I realize that 'long term' is relative... but what I meant is things that will be in my fridge longer than the things like produce and staples. Things I won't go through quickly, things that don't turn within days of opening. I am looking for suggestions, things I might overlook when moving, et cetera. I am sure you don't intend to do so, but it seems like you take any chance to shit on my posts any time I make one.

8. Nouveau Pauvre

Nouveau Pauvre Senior member

9. Piobaire

Piobaire Senior member

Home made pork, beef, and chicken stock in the freezer.

10. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Things I use on a regular basis: Annie Chun's thai peanut sauce, Newman's own vodka sauce, Dijon mustard, Soy sauce, Salsa

11. GanglandDandy

GanglandDandy Senior member

Tons of Coke
    Mayonnaise
    Ranch Sauce
    Chocolate
    Ice Cream

12. imhotep

imhotep Senior member

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Things I use on a regular basis: Annie Chun's thai peanut sauce, Newman's own vodka sauce, Dijon mustard, Soy sauce, Salsa

i have had this annie chun's thai peanut sauce unopened in my cupboard for some time now. pls advise on what to use it with. ty.

13. Gradstudent78

Gradstudent78 Senior member

i have had this annie chun's thai peanut sauce unopened in my cupboard for some time now. pls advise on what to use it with. ty.

I typically use it for a chicken/noodle/broccoli stir fry I make up. Very tasty + easy to make.

14. Dmax

Dmax Senior member

How about some salt packed anchovies, which keep forever. Also consider salt packed capers.

If you cook asian dishes, besides the already mentioned soy sauce, you can also buy hoisin sauce, toasted sesame oil, and fish sauce (nam pla).

I also like to keep a bottle of roasted nut oil, like walnut, for salads. I try to keep more delicate oils in the fridge to make them last longer.

15. lemmywinks

lemmywinks Senior member

Soy Sauce is a most def, chicken broth is always useful to have. I guess butter, milk, juice, eggs.

Of course the fresh produce stuff should be replaced every now and then.

Get some olive oil.

Sesame oil is yummy.

Keep some canned sardines somewhere in your kitchen so you have some meat when you're in a pinch.

KEtchup!!

16. WhateverYouLike

WhateverYouLike Senior member

You guys have some well stocked fridges. All I have is chicken breasts, salmon, steaks, and milk. Literally nothing else.

17. robbie

robbie Senior member

Broth is a good one.

My wife is a vegetarian, and I don't do pork. But making stock is something I want/need to start doing myself--- thanks for the suggestion.

We have tame tastes as far as asian foods go... I need to get sriracha for noodle dishes.

Obviously Coke, but thats a given. I feel only Soviets and dirty hippies have fridges w/out Coca-Cola in them.

sardines? I have only ever had them plain once, and they didn't agree w/ me. The only thing I know i'd use them for is Caesar dressing. Suggestions on interesting ways to use them.

I (heart) Bacon, so far your list has been the best, thanks.

-rF

18. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

ok robbie, I will play with you today.

Things I buy less frequently, but try to buy small quantities of, to ensure better freshness:

-a lemon and a lime, if not other things like sudachis, depending on the season
    -ginger root and peeled garlic cloves
    -whatever half open bottles of red and white table wine I have, for cooking
    -my soy sauce, my sesame seed oil, hoisin sauce, sambal oelek, tonkatsu sauce, japanese men tsuyu
    -honey, and agave nectar
    -salsa
    -BBQ sauce
    -smooth and coarse ground dijon, and yellow mustards
    -cornichons, dills, pepperoncinis, spicy yellow peppers, and jalapeno rings
    -green (with pimentos) and cheap black olives in jars, like Mario
    -a small Heinz ketchup
    -a small mayonnaise (Kewpie or Hellman's)
    -dried kombu
    -wakame
    -a couple large mixer juices, usually tomato juice (in my country, only V8) and a cheap cranberry juice cocktail
    -an unsalted butter, and a demi-sel or salted butter, I like Elle de Vivre
    -parmigiano reggiano, in a manageable wedge
    -a cheddar of some sort
    -a cheap melting cheese, like provolone or american mozzarella
    -a little bacon, frozen if you have to
    -a small sealed pack of prosciutto or salami or snacking

Stuff i buy more frequently, weekly or more:
    -cilantro
    -tomatoes (if I lived in the US I'd buy romas for the purpose of buying without a particular purpose)
    -celery
    -a couple carrots
    -cucumbers (ours are particularly robust here, more like pickling cukes, so they stay fine for a week or so)
    -a green pepper or two
    -a half a head of cabbage
    -maybe a zucchini

onions and potatoes in dry storage.

In the freezer:
    -frozen corn
    -frozen green beans
    -frozen asparagus and okra, maybe
    -a few english muffins
    -a few slices of bread for emergencies
    -some cheap ground chuck for emergencies
    -some stew beef (I usually end up using this for Japanese curry rice more than anything)
    -some frozen shrimp
    -some steamed rice, maybe a few bundles
    -I'd probably have more frozen stuff if I lived in America, but I usually have asian dumplings of some sort in my freezer, those would probably be pot pies or something if I lived stateside.