• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stitching showing through cuffs

millionaire75

Reaction score
Kind of a dumb question, but if I get pants shortened, should their be any stitching showing through the pants? I'm talking about near the bottom opening where they stitch the cuff underneath (these are flat front pants with no cuffs). Is this something that shows up initially or was this a complete mistake by the tailor? Thanks.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sometimes tailors get sloppy with their blandstitch machines and you can see a stitch line.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, it's there to stay. The good news is that they can be easily restitched for very little cost.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Casual trousers (chinos, maybe corduroy) are usually hemmed with a sewing machine, the visible stitching going right through
all the layers of fabric.

Woollen trousers are traditionally “blind-stitched”; the stitching, done either by hand or by special blind-stitch machines, is supposed to be invisible from the outside. The stitching is very loose and picks only threads from the underside of the fabric. But, as 'iammatt' has pointed out,
if it’s done sloppily (or if the material is very thin), traces might still show through.

millionaire75

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
No, it's there to stay. The good news is that they can be easily restitched for very little cost.

Should my tailor charge me to fix this or should this be considered a mistake?

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
Should my tailor charge me to fix this or should this be considered a mistake?

Depends on how good the tailor is and (probably more relevant), how good your relationship is with your tailor.

I would expect it to be fixed gratis, for what it's worth, if it's visible and ugly.

As bengal-stripe rightly points out, on some very sheer materials, you can't help it showing through.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Reason 10,001 to always cuff your pants.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

I demand the full list!
devil.gif

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by millionaire75
Kind of a dumb question, but if I get pants shortened, should their be any stitching showing through the pants? I'm talking about near the bottom opening where they stitch the cuff underneath (these are flat front pants with no cuffs). Is this something that shows up initially or was this a complete mistake by the tailor? Thanks.

No. Careless workmanship

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
he should be willing to re sew it. if not find another tailor.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt

I had the same thought, but I didn't want to rub cheeky.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads