• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stiped shirt with striped tie? OK or a big NO?

Preparatory

Reaction score
Is it okay to wear a striped shirt with a striped tie or is it not? Many says NO but I've seen a few successful examples. Post pics if necessary.

CaymanS

Reaction score
lurker[1].gif

dk_ace

Reaction score
I've done it at times, but it only works if the stripes are quite different sizes in my opinion. I wouldn't put similarly proportioned stripes on top of each other. I try not to do it all anymore regardless of the proportions, but there are times when it works and looks nice.

D

Blackhood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The stripe of the shirt must be at most half as wide as the tie.

The best range is for every Tie-Stripe you should want 3 to 4 shirt stripes.

phoenixrecon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i only do this when i ask mom if its ok....

perhaps you should use your eyes? do you enjoy the way it looks? if not don't do it
teacha.gif

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dk_ace
I've done it at times, but it only works if the stripes are quite different sizes in my opinion. I wouldn't put similarly proportioned stripes on top of each other. I try not to do it all anymore regardless of the proportions, but there are times when it works and looks nice.

D

This is the rule. Alan Flusser suggests similarly, and it generally works.

kcc

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Preparatory
Is it okay to wear a striped shirt with a striped tie or is it not? Many says NO but I've seen a few successful examples. Post pics if necessary.

Articles of identical scales will most certainly clash.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lightbringer
This is the rule. Alan Flusser suggests similarly, and it generally works.

I dont disagree with "the rule", but not sure why people keep on taking cues from someone who dresses like this:

Alan-Flusser.jpg

tim_horton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It can work, as has been noted above, but it's so much easier and safer to go with a solid shirt... Trying to match a striped tie to a striped shirt is too much effort.
lol8[1].gif

Lightbringer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lonneker
I dont disagree with "the rule", but not sure why people keep on taking cues from someone who dresses like this:

Alan-Flusser.jpg

I too am amazed that a man who is so shabbily dressed could produce such a book.

That said the book is really quite good.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
image3xxl.jpg

Just don't do this
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads