• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stinky Leather Watch Bands

KlezmerBlues

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
ugh @ the pics in this thread

Yes, great pics and watches in this thread.

I've never experienced this problem, but would try some antibacterial wipes.

Chips

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have the same problem with my stingray band I put on my watch. Only when its close to my face can I tell, but either way, I don't like it.

0b5cur1ty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Try a Cordovan leather strap. They never seem to smell of anything other than their own distinctive smell, even if you sweat profusely on them.

calvinloke

Reaction score
I have this leather strap which says water resistant on it. Material on both sides of the band are the same. Probably synthetic but feels very much like leather. Been using it for more than a year it still smells alright. No unpleasant smell.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate to say it, but the best [only, IMO] option for non funky watch band is a metal bracelet in the warmer months. I just stopped wearing straps in the summer as i end up with stink issues like you.

For instance, I always install a ZULU strap (NATO style) on my diver's watches when wearing them over water activities (sea kayaking,for instance) for the extra the security of staying on the wrist if a springbar lets loose. However, if I leave the Zulu on my watch for a few weeks of regular, daily summer wear, it begins to smell awful.

Therefore, I've resigned myself to simply wearing bracelets in the summer. I know you mentioned that you don't like them, but it will solve your problem and you could limit the time to only the warmest months.

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hany
Here's a pic from Timezone...really love the way it looks but it's not for everyone.
LouisVuittonIV.jpg

For more info click here

dressed down patek, really, not badd

cbird

Reaction score
Why not try cleaning it with Lexol every now and then?

mickeymickey

Reaction score
Originally Posted by 0b5cur1ty
Try a Cordovan leather strap. They never seem to smell of anything other than their own distinctive smell, even if you sweat profusely on them.
I'm going to resurrect this thread to say I've tried this. I have a brown cordovan strap I got in January that I didn't wear at all in the summer, but started to smell once I brought it back into rotation in September. I've used some Saphir on the inside of the band, and that has definitely reduced the smell drastically. I can now put the band to my face and I smell leather + saphir as opposed to just plain funk. Initially I tried using obenauf on the inside of the band to waterproof it but that didn't work out so well, the sweat absorbed into the band anyway. Next time the smell arises, I might try Lexol instead of Saphir to see if that is as effective. I know no one but me notices the smell, but I still don't like it, and I will fight it as long as possible! On another note, I also have this navy cordovan wallet that I've been using daily most of the year. Fortunately it only smells like cordovan still, and not butt sweat.

Dressed2the9s

Reaction score
Douglas;2202828 said:
This is sort of a stupid question, but I'm wondering if others run into problems with stinky leather watch bands.

The trick is not to wear the same watch everyday. That way the watch doesn't quicly accumulate bacteria,dead skin, sweat, oil etc that gives the leather that...(ahem) certain aroma.

You should also switch the leather bands often as well.
bigstar[1].gif

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Put leather watch bands in your jeans pocket then wash jeans in the washing machine. The band comes out clean without destruction.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Put leather watch bands in your jeans pocket then wash jeans in the washing machine. The band comes out clean without destruction.

eek.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads