• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

still don't understand selvedge

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
How can both sides of the whole seam have the selvedge edge? Doesn't that mean the manufacturer has to use the ends of the weave on all their jeans? It seems like this would waste a lot of denim, especially considering that different waist sizes need different widths of denim at the legs.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with selvedge but isn't it only on the outseam? I don't see how it could be on both the outseam and the inseam.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I don't have much experience with selvedge but isn't it only on the outseam? I don't see how it could be on both the outseam and the inseam.
Yeah, but where the outseam seam comes together, both sides are selvedge.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Right, they cut all the outseams against the selvedge. It takes four main pieces of similar shape to make a pair of jeans. The denim is like 34" wide. Each piece is let's say 14" wide on average at the widest point (just guessing here, remember seam allowances). The pattern can overlap at the legs. If you draw it out on a piece of paper you will see what I mean. Any extra can be used for pockets front and rear and fly insert pieces. It's actually not that wasteful.

retronotmetro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the reason selvage has been largely abandoned by the mass producers is the fact that by using wider cloth, and not being restricted to cutting with selvage on the outseams, you have much less waste than with even careful cutting of the selvage denim. But I'm no denim expert.
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought the reason selvage has been largely abandoned by the mass producers is the fact that by using wider cloth, and not being restricted to cutting with selvage on the outseams, you have much less waste than with even careful cutting of the selvage denim. But I'm no denim expert.
smile.gif
You're right, wider cloth is more efficient, but more importantly it's cheaper to produce - the amount of work that goes into a 54" wide bolt of fabric is not much more than a 34" bolt, and even less if you consider that the newer machines are faster and they aren't making the narrow looms anymore.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Are you talking about "double selvage" as seen in Uniqlo, where the inner and outer seams both have selvage edges, or are you talking about in the traditional sense, i.e. Levis redline, where the outer seem has selvage?

If the former, I'm not sure myself. The inside selvage may be faked. The latter, j got it right on. On a 29" loom, you can logically cut the sheet in half and you have two pieces with selvage edges that you sew together in the outside leg. It would take a total of four pieces (two full lengths of denim from the loom) to make a pair of jeans. On the 54" loom, it takes one full length of denim.

It is more wasteful in the sense that 1) takes much longer to produce the same amount of denim (and moreso because the older looms weave slower), 2) more denim is discarded, so more cotton is consumed.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
No I was just talking about the traditional selvedge. I get it now. Originally I was picturing a much larger sheet of denim, for some reason.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
the old selvage looms make 30 to 31 inch wide cloth, and weave x amount of cloth per hour.
the modern high speed looms make 58 to 61 inchwide cloth, and weave 4x amount of cloth per hour.
the operators wages are the same in each case. the overhead costs are the same.
thats why selvage denim is more expensive.
on a 60 inch wide denim i can get a 32x30 jean for myself out of 1 and 1/2 yards. but on a 30 inch width i will need 3 and 1/2 yards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads