• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stick shift drivers.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by meaculpa
Mark, how the heck does that work?

I had something similar happen - the throttle link was jammed while I was on the highway. This was an old banger (my first car, just after high school) so it was bound to break down sooner or later, I just didn't expect that to happen.

So I had to drive while the throttle was jammed, trying to prevent the engine from over-revving and blowing up. It's not hard to do on the highway, but eventually you have to slow down. Sure enough with my luck there was a police stop checking for seatbelts at the onramp. At a stop sign. Try explaining a cop why you're revving at 6000 at a stop sign.

Briancl is right about hearing the RPM.
That's the key to double clutching on a crash box.
On the MG, I started the car in gear.
To stop,took it out of gear.
Wouldn't work on a hill.

The Bendix spring broke not long after.
The TF came with a crank you put through a hole in the radiator so you could hand crank the engine . That was was fun for awhile.
Nothing scary like the the throttle sticking.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oldboy
For those who haven't learned stickshift, what would you do in the event of an emergency where for whatever reason you HAD to drive a manual? Not highly likely, but you never know.

What about the far more likely possibility that one is travelling somewhere with more intelligent drivers and for rent cannot find some jalopy with one of those ******* torque converters wasting power and sapping economy.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SGladwell
What about the far more likely possibility that one is travelling somewhere with more intelligent drivers and for rent cannot find some jalopy with one of those ******* torque converters wasting power and sapping economy.
So. damn. angry. all. the. time.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whnay.
So. damn. angry. all. the. time.

Hey, that could be your new sig!
smile.gif

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by romafan
Hey, that could be your new sig!
smile.gif

I don't bring the attitude to any other sub forums...

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Oldboy
For those who haven't learned stickshift, what would you do in the event of an emergency where for whatever reason you HAD to drive a manual? Not highly likely, but you never know.

Anyway, I learned to drive stick with a 4-speed '70 Datsun 240z. So much fun!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

you should probably learn to how to ride a motorcycle too. and a boat, plane, helicopter, and maybe even a submarine. you never really know...

I learned to drive stick when I was 16 on an old porsche. BMWs, Audis and Porsches are fine, but for some reason, I was never able to transition to japanese stick shifts. I can't figure it out. Is there a big difference? Everyone says Japanese sticks are easier to drive.

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Renault78law
I was never able to transition to japanese stick shifts. I can't figure it out. Is there a big difference? Everyone says Japanese sticks are easier to drive.

Except for the Miata and S2000, I find Japanese sticks harder to drive smoothly than European sticks, too.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
A friend of mine fused his clutch to flywheel a few weeks ago at a track day on his 6 speed M3 (the hydraulic clutch fluid is actually brake fluid on that car.. how absurd).

That's too bad about your friend's car --- hopefully they can get it fixed without too much trouble. The brake and clutch hydraulic systems on modern BMWs share the same reservoir and fluids, but I really doubt that caused his clutch to fuse to his flywheel. The brake fluid will boil first before anything gets that hot. I would also be very surprised if the clutch actually fused to the flywheel. More likely, something in the hydraulic system is messed up. Or maybe he has so much air in his brake fluid now that (due to boiling) that it can't move the clutch anymore.

--Andre

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
26131948_Audi_allroad_sau.jpg
Current ride, 6-speed manual, mine is a 2.7T . My previous ride below, still in the family, 5-speed manual (borrowed photos):
1264274_1.jpg

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
That's too bad about your friend's car --- hopefully they can get it fixed without too much trouble. The brake and clutch hydraulic systems on modern BMWs share the same reservoir and fluids, but I really doubt that caused his clutch to fuse to his flywheel. The brake fluid will boil first before anything gets that hot. I would also be very surprised if the clutch actually fused to the flywheel. More likely, something in the hydraulic system is messed up. Or maybe he has so much air in his brake fluid now that (due to boiling) that it can't move the clutch anymore.

--Andre

He already had it fixed. No more problems. Apparently he had some something wrong while out on course and caused the clutch/flywheel to heat up and cool down too quickly which eventually ended in the two being "fused" together. Now, this is all second hand, and it is possible that they were "fused" together, but really, the hydraulics were broken to the point where they were simply stuck together.

Maybe if he had bled his brakes prior to the event like all smart people do, he wouldn't have had so many problems..

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OMG. He was using old brake fluid on the track with an M3? That's a recipe for disaster (because of the M3's relatively high speed, and heavy weight). Tell him to use ATE SuperBlue or Type 100 next time. I can't even imagine what his brakes must have been like at the end.

--Andre

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
OMG. He was using old brake fluid on the track with an M3? That's a recipe for disaster (because of the M3's relatively high speed, and heavy weight). Tell him to use ATE SuperBlue or Type 100 next time. I can't even imagine what his brakes must have been like at the end.

--Andre

I use nothing but ATE SuperBlue. The stuff does wonders. People at the track in my same car will boil Motul and other synthetics, but I keep going strong. I've done back-to-back-to-back 20 minute sessions (only coming off the track to check fluids/tires) and the stuff holds strong.. no soft pedal or anything.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
I use nothing but ATE SuperBlue. The stuff does wonders. People at the track in my same car will boil Motul and other synthetics, but I keep going strong. I've done back-to-back-to-back 20 minute sessions (only coming off the track to check fluids/tires) and the stuff holds strong.. no soft pedal or anything.

I am partial to SRF myself. Never managed to boil it. Never had to bleed the brakes between sessions.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SRF is great, but very expensive, and violates certain clubs' tech inspection rules of having changed brake fluid in the last 6 months, which is ironic because SRF is less hygroscopic and can last much longer than normal stuff like ATE, etc. making the 6-month rule kind of not relevant.

ATE Type 200 (not 100 as I typed above) is like SuperBlue except it's clear and won't stain your brake lines. Some people like that because their dealership freaks out if they see stained blue reservoirs and fluids, and try to invalidate your warranty. I like to alternate the two so that when the fluid being flushed completely changes color, I know that I've changed most of the fluid.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads