• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stick shift drivers.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kai
Here's a nice accessory for all those driving automatics:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main...8422ecda26fd31

rotflmao.gif

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At 16 years old, my dad taught me how to drive stick on his old Chevy pick up truck with the "three on the tree". He said, "if you can drive this, you can drive anything."

He was right!
laugh.gif

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
At 16 years old, my dad taught me how to drive stick on his old Chevy pick up truck with the "three on the tree". He said, "if you can drive this, you can drive anything."

He was right!
laugh.gif

"three on the tree". Does it mean double-shifting? If not that it's a ***** manual.
crackup[1].gif

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What we hardly see anymore are the column shift manual cars. Mercedes-Benz used to make a lot of these during the 1960s for their sedans but presumably no modern maker does, only floor shift types.

The earlier Citroen DS and their cheap variation ID used a column shift, albeit semi-automatic. I don't know what a "paddle-shift" is and I recently learned through an old VITALS article on Porsche what "Tiptronic" is.

I suppose for some cars, an automatic is preferable almost given the inherent weakness of the manual design for that particular make. For example, the Facel Vega, which apparently had a weaker Pont-a-Mousson manual than its TorqueFlite automatic.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
What we hardly see anymore are the column shift manual cars. Mercedes-Benz used to make a lot of these during the 1960s for their sedans but presumably no modern maker does, only floor shift types.

I've never seen (or been in) a car with a column shift. I've only seen trucks with that kind of manual transmission.

I was in a car (1950-60?) something which only had push buttons for gears. One would just push the button 1,2 3,4 on the dash to shift into that gear.

"three on the tree". Does it mean double-shifting? If not that it's a ***** manual.
I hate driving tractors and straight trucks that I have to double shift. I just grind the gears. I kinda like the sound. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Automatic is for cowards. I drove a rented automatic Taurus across half the country. Worst ******* car ever.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I've never seen (or been in) a car with a column shift. I've only seen trucks with that kind of manual transmission.

I was in a car (1950-60?) something which only had push buttons for gears. One would just push the button 1,2 3,4 on the dash to shift into that gear.

I hate driving tractors and straight trucks that I have to double shift. I just grind the gears. I kinda like the sound. Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Here's a Mercedes-Benz with that type of system:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1961-...QQcmdZViewItem

The Facel Vega HK500 had that sort of system:

facelvegasv4.png

I think the new Ferraris also has that sort of gear change with something on the steering wheel.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Recently someone told me that most driving schools do not teach a manual transmission even upon request. It's up to your racy but likeable Uncle Ernie at the family reunion.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently someone told me that most driving schools do not teach a manual transmission even upon request. It's up to your racy but likeable Uncle Ernie at the family reunion.

People don't want to drive manual transmissions anymore. How can one shift when talking on the phone and eating at the same time?

UMass

Reaction score
I drive a 1.8T, 5 speed VW Passat. I learned on a 5-speed Civic DX.
smile.gif

Next car will be BMW SMG or VW/Audi doubleclutch paddle shift transmission.

UMass

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Automatic is for cowards. I drove a rented automatic Taurus across half the country. Worst ******* car ever.

Our company cars are Tauruses. IMO the worst are the overboosted pwr steering, seats, brakes(all of our cars have warped rotors), transmission, and interior plastics.

Best part is the ac and decent mpg.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score

The earlier Citroen DS and their cheap variation ID used a column shift, albeit semi-automatic. I don't know what a "paddle-shift" is and I recently learned through an old VITALS article on Porsche what "Tiptronic" is.

I suppose for some cars, an automatic is preferable almost given the inherent weakness of the manual design for that particular make. For example, the Facel Vega, which apparently had a weaker Pont-a-Mousson manual than its TorqueFlite automatic.

The '40s Packards had manual column shift.

Paddle shift is a Formula-1 adaptation seen in many modern cars that is more or less a manual way of shifting an automatic.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Paddle shift is a Formula-1 adaptation seen in many modern cars that is more or less a manual way of shifting an automatic.
If by "paddle shift" you mean SMG, a more accurate description would be that it's an "automatic way of shifting a manual." SMG is a completely manual transmission with an electronically-actuated clutch unlike tiptronic or other gimmicks that are automatic transmissions in which the driver can "suggest" shift points to the computer.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I loved driving stick and held out for years, but when I bought my current car I was doing a longish commute in city traffic and decided to take the automatic so I could daydream on the way home and not worry about paying attention to my driving.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads