• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stick on rubber soles... ruin shoes?

Iyor

Reaction score
I've recently splurged, and bought my self a bunch of higher end shoes(sutor, santoni fam, moreschi tirolese...), and a couple of my friends suggested I put on some half rubber soles along with taps on these shoes to prolong thier last. I've done this in the past with other shoes w/o any problems, but not as expensive. Before I do anything to them I just wanted to get some advice as to whether it ruins the shoe in any way. The people in the moreschi store said it's not a problem, though they said I should wear them a couple of times to break them in first w/o them. Thanks for any input.

BTW where can I get quality shoe trees?

shawndo

Reaction score
Putting the rubber tops on leather soles is one of the religious arguments on here, so be prepared!

Some say it prevents the leather from breathing and can cause it to rot (Which I don't buy) Others say it can trap water against the leather and cause it to rot (also don't agree with) I say go for it!

From what I've seen, there are 2 types of taps. The kind that are bolted on top of the sole and the kind that are flush with the sole. (They cut into the sole to make a space for it) I've heard that the second type is preferrable, and not to get the kind that are just bolted on the top. Can't remember why though.

Scuffing up the soles just makes it easier for them to put the rubber tops on. I don't know that it has anything to do with breaking them in.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It will absolutely not ruin your shoes. While moisture can't escape through the bottoms after you apply a Topy (or whatever), it can (and will) still escape from the inside and sides. I don't do it, but I have friends who have done it for many, many years, and I have yet to hear of one of their pairs of shoes suffering from some sort of rot.

Iyor

Reaction score
Oh wow! I just did a forum search, and realized this is a heated debate. Also what about taps? I don't think I'll wear them out to quickly if I don't wear them in the rain, and I only wear them once a week (on sabbath, and other jewish holidays). I also have some of the regular line SF , and others that get mixed in so these are never going to be an everyday pair anyways. My question is if I basically wear these once a week how long can I expect these to last with, or w/o a rubber sole. Also how much does it cost to resole a pair of Sutor, fam, moreschi....If I go ahead with it where is a good place to do it in NYC. It doesn't seem like I can put taps on the front anyways since the soles are nailed there, though put extra wear in that area along with the heel. Just looking to get as much input as possible. Thanks

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
taps is another Holy War

if you send any shoe back to the manufacturer, it will cost probably over $100 for an original resole.

But many competent cobblers can replace a full leather sole with combination heelplug on goodyear last for $60-75.

Iyor

Reaction score
It seems part of the war has to do with the look, ans sound of the topy/ taps. Those 2 things are of no concern to me since I've done it in the past, and it didn't bother me. My question is whether nailing something foreign into my shoe will ruin them. I'm not too concerned with the breathing aspect either. My only concern is to prolong the life of my shoes, and I always thought this was the best way especially if I don't wear them often.

Any insight on the tap issue bolted, or flat?, and whether they can be put on the front if the sole is nailed there?

Also if you have any suggestions for reputable guy in NYC it would be appreciated.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Read the thread 'Toe Plates in NYC'. Unless you're in Europe, you won't find a good way to get after-market flush-mounted plates. If you plan to wear your shoes regularly, get the thinnest topys you can find. and taps. You won't ruin your shoes.

marlinspike

Reaction score
I'm not going to cite sources and what all, so you can choose to believe me or not, but here is what I've learned from discussing this with shoemakers.

If the shoes are loafers, it's better to not put Topys on them. Same goes for any other shoes where slightly more resistance to flexing may be an issue. If the shoes are lace-ups, for the most part, Topy away.

Better to Topy after breaking in the shoe without a Topy on it.

I'll never understand the attraction of plates. If you put a Topy on you WILL NOT need toe plates. As far as if they do any harm, I don't know - as I don't see the attraction of them, I've never talked to shoemakers about them.

I don't know Sutor, but Moreschi and Santoni (and any of those thin Italian soles) wear out fairly quickly (compared to Alden and that sort - I wear them out in 2-3 months, but then I do a lot more concrete/asphalt walking them most, and I do a fair bit of twisting my foot when I step), BUT if after the sole that comes on the shoe wears out you have a cobbler replace the sole with a JR leather sole (which can still be thin), it will be years before you need a resole.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Iyor
My question is whether nailing something foreign into my shoe will ruin them.
You know, it almost doesn't make sense to think of the sole as an integral part of the shoe: it will eventually be replaced, and you may choose to replace it with a sole made by another manufacturer. What you're really paying for is the upper.

CK JAGUUAR

Reaction score
I realize this is an old thread but the topic is not. This is an area where age and experience is a great advantage, as in most areas of life. I bought three pair of Johnston and Murphy shoes in 1970 that I put rubber pads and "taps" on. I still wear them today. None of the three has ever needed to be resoled or re-healed and this is 45 years later. It's entertaining to see all the young, educated and brilliant minds trying to tackle simple subjects, and even funnier to see how dogmatic the positions become. All appear to be firmly based on hope, fantasy and wishful thinking supported by overbearing egos. But none on real world experience. Obviously Samuel Clemens was right. The world is full of educated fools.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads