• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stevie Ray Vaughan

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In the conversations I've had/read in the last few years concerning the greatest artists of the past few decades, SRV seems to get left out far too often. I don't know if that's because blues has fewer fans than other genres, that's he's been gone for 20 years, whatever- it's like no one my age or younger knows him other than maybe the name, and that's a tragedy. I first heard him when I was probably about 10... my dad was a big fan, so whenever we'd take his truck somewhere I'd be treated to this ballsy, bitching guitar wunderkind. I've got many a live cd and time after time, that guy puts on a show that utterly shames almost everything out there now. I like the blues, but I don't listen to typical treatments of it... he defined blues for me so most everything else sounds soft and not as heartfelt. He's also really underrated as a singer, I think he has a fantastic voice. Some great clips 1:15-2:05 is just chill inducing perfection, like the whole song Explaining some influences and playing some great riffs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPHan...eature=related Title of the clip says it all

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
He had a tone that was immediately distinguishable from anyone else, and his live playing reminded me of Layla-era Clapton, only wilder. Gone too soon.

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I saw SRV many times at a club called Rockefellers here in Houston.

And my friend Rocky Hill ( Dusty Hill's brother ) knew him very well.

SRV was an iconic musician and was really respected by other musicians.

Coincidentally, I live a few blocks from Rockefellers now.

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He was a great one, and certainly defined modern blues guitar. He loses points with music snobs because, as you mentioned, blues has fewer fans, but also because it's not really hotbed of musical innovation. The forms are fairly standard, the melodies are pretty standard, and he wasn't a particularly relevant musical force the way pop/rock musicians are and jazz musicians were. Even one of his greatest songs, his version of Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing, was a cover. Still, for what he did, few ever did better.

bcate3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian278
He was a great one, and certainly defined modern blues guitar. He loses points with music snobs because, as you mentioned, blues has fewer fans, but also because it's not really hotbed of musical innovation. The forms are fairly standard, the melodies are pretty standard, and he wasn't a particularly relevant musical force the way pop/rock musicians are and jazz musicians were. Even one of his greatest songs, his version of Jimi Hendrix's Little Wing, was a cover. Still, for what he did, few ever did better.

good post.

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never listened to SRV, but am (was?) a great fan of his brother Jimmie's band.

For me, the (white) Texas bluesman of choice was Johnny Winter....
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Sesame Seed

Reaction score
It's a shame that people champion- Hendrix, Page, Beck, Clapton etc. They do not deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as SRV. SRV is to the guitar what Bob Dylan is to songwriting.

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
A cousin got me onto SRV when I was about 20 and I immediately fell in love with his style. Which reminds me I need to listen to him a bit more...

hadamulletonce

Reaction score
I've listened to his version of Little Wing about a million times. I haven't heard any other artist do the song justice since Vaughan.

Another guitarist that isn't mentioned much anymore is David Gilmour. The solo at the end of Comfortably numb is moving. I wish they didn't fade it out at the end. Pink Floyd was considered rock but Gilmour played the blues.

The Deacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I've got it wrong but I heard that Clapton once refused to go on after SRV at one concert and I saw the quote he gave, something to the effect of "what am I supposed to do after that?"

His Voodoo Child cover on Live Alive is spine tinglingly awesome and has been in constant rotation in my vehicle for 7 years now. BTW, the band Pride and Joy in Austin covers his work like none other.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SRV = the Devil playing a guitar

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The Deacon
Maybe I've got it wrong but I heard that Clapton once refused to go on after SRV at one concert and I saw the quote he gave, something to the effect of "what am I supposed to do after that?"

His Voodoo Child cover on Live Alive is spine tinglingly awesome and has been in constant rotation in my vehicle for 7 years now. BTW, the band Pride and Joy in Austin covers his work like none other.

Jimmie Vaughn's band, the Fabulous Thunderbirds, were said to be the only opening band the Stones were ever intimidated by...

Josh Alan Friedman's book Tell the Truth Until They Bleed has chapters devoted to bassists Keith Ferguson (T-Birds) and Tommy Shannon (SRV) that make for interesting reading.

Attachment 13835

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics