• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve's Ice Cream in Manhattan

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sooooo effing good. Was scared it would be hipster-good, which means not good at all. But it was very, very good. Strawberry Ricotta FTW.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This might be the death of me. But for the record, what is "hipster-good"?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH

+1

foo.gif
, please
teacha.gif
me

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
+1

foo.gif
, please
teacha.gif
me

Iammanton's explanation is pretty good. In short, something that is 'good' merely by way of being less preferred or less well-known--which is to say, that which is often bad. In fact, distinct badness is often directly celebrated as the best goodness in hipster-dom.

Take for example, Summer in 500 Days of Summer. Summer, the female lead, is the worst sort of hipster (that is to say, very hipster). Amongst the many things she says and does that make me want to reach into the screen and squeeze out the evil ironic life force inhabiting her cold husk of a body, she goes on and on about how Ringo Starr is the best Beatle. When finally forced to explain why, she says it's simply because nobody else thinks he's the best.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Iammanton's explanation is pretty good. In short, something that is 'good' merely by way of being less preferred or less well-known--which is to say, that which is often bad. In fact, distinct badness is often directly celebrated as the best goodness in hipster-dom.

Take for example, Summer in 500 Days of Summer. Summer, the female lead, is the worst sort of hipster (that is to say, very hipster). Amongst the many things she says and does that make me want to reach into the screen and squeeze out the evil ironic life force inhabiting her cold husk of a body, she goes on and on about how Ringo Starr is the best Beatle. When finally forced to explain why, she says it's simply because nobody else thinks he's the best.

So, basically, Film Noir Buff.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So, basically, Film Noir Buff.

No, FNB is not a hipster. He's not trying to be ironic, which is so sad that it mildly mitigates the irritation.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many hipsters does it take to change a lightbulb?

- It's an obscure number. You've probably never heard of it.
- Who cares? The lightbulb was better before it was changed.

--Andre

howbah

Reaction score
"hipster" is an all-purpose derogatory term people use when they can't think of any specific objection to something. "hipsters" = "people I don't like, because I've assigned qualities to them that I dislike, whether they actually have those qualities or not. so, basically, people I suspect of not being just like me." "hipster-good" -a possible translation into puttingsomethoughtintowhatyousayese might be "over-hyped" (which isn't putting a whole lot of thought into it, which tells you something about people who use terms like "hipster-good"). synonyms: pretentious - as in: - "hey, I picked up a copy of For Whom the Bell Tolls at the airport & read it on the plane, it's pretty good, ya know?" - "God, you're so pretentious!"

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
Originally Posted by howbah
"hipster" is an all-purpose derogatory term people use when they can't think of any specific objection to something. "hipsters" = "people I don't like, because I've assigned qualities to them that I dislike, whether they actually have those qualities or not. so, basically, people I suspect of not being just like me."
my 'all-purpose' derogatory term is much worse than 'hipster'. Not that I wish they were interchangeable.
laugh.gif
and while I agree that I've assigned qualities to hipsters that I genuinely do not like, typically these qualities are obvious. Somebody "not just like me"? I'm totally cool with that. But I suppose in general I find bigoted people to be insufferable. And hipsters. Both for good reasons to me.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Being a hipster is not synonymous with being pretentious. It is rather a form of snobbery--a very particular form that identifies what's 'good' with respect to what's culturally ironic. It's not the catchall you're claiming.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by howbah
"hipster" is an all-purpose derogatory term people use when they can't think of any specific objection to something. "hipsters" = "people I don't like, because I've assigned qualities to them that I dislike, whether they actually have those qualities or not. so, basically, people I suspect of not being just like me." "hipster-good" -a possible translation into puttingsomethoughtintowhatyousayese might be "over-hyped" (which isn't putting a whole lot of thought into it, which tells you something about people who use terms like "hipster-good"). synonyms: pretentious - as in: - "hey, I picked up a copy of For Whom the Bell Tolls at the airport & read it on the plane, it's pretty good, ya know?" - "God, you're so pretentious!"
so, you are a hipster?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Iammanton's explanation is pretty good. In short, something that is 'good' merely by way of being less preferred or less well-known--which is to say, that which is often bad. In fact, distinct badness is often directly celebrated as the best goodness in hipster-dom. Take for example, Summer in 500 Days of Summer. Summer, the female lead, is the worst sort of hipster (that is to say, very hipster). Amongst the many things she says and does that make me want to reach into the screen and squeeze out the evil ironic life force inhabiting her cold husk of a body, she goes on and on about how Ringo Starr is the best Beatle. When finally forced to explain why, she says it's simply because nobody else thinks he's the best.
Gotcha, thanks. 'Iammanton'
laugh.gif
worship.gif
BTW: I went into Hermes on Madison the other day, was NOT impressed.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been deemed a hipster when somebody tried talking to me about clothes and I told them that I don't wear designer clothes. Granted, I did flip my hair back and finish the sentence with, "Whatever, I'm like so over fashion."

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Being a hipster is not synonymous with being pretentious. It is rather a form of snobbery--a very particular form that identifies what's 'good' with respect to what's culturally ironic. It's not the catchall you're claiming.

I thought you meant that Steve's Ice Cream reopened. I remember Steve's from the Boston Area back in the 90's. Nevermind....

Is that hipster enough?
teacha.gif
actually did you ever have steve's in the new england area back in the 90s? can you compare?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads