1. I'd like to announce that animated avatars are now available again. You'll have to reload, but they are once more possible.

We've been doing a ton of work behind the scenes. The site load speed was already under 1/2 of what Huddler's was, on average, and we installed cloudflare, which means that the site should be even faster. A ton more will go on in the weeks and months to come, and some things will be more visibile, and some less.

Cheers,

Fok.

Dismiss Notice

Steve McQueen's Bullitt Casual Wear: Timelessly cool?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Soph, Oct 16, 2006.

1. Soph

Soph Senior member

Watched Bullitt this weekend.
    Other than the narrow ties and the bizarre dress of the informant with those yellow glasses and reverse goatee[​IMG] And the long scenes on him just emoting, looking cool and saying absolutly nothing which verges on comedy at times.

McQueen looks pretty timelessly cool in his khaki trench, Navy/blue Turtleneck, brown jacket (elbow suede pateches), charcoal trousers, and suede chukkas.

2. rabbimark

rabbimark Well-Known Member

best fashion accessory in that film (other than Jacqueline Bissett at age 19) was the dark green Mustang GT 390 Fastback. The seminal Mustang vs. Dodge Charger 440 chase is something to behold. For more on the cars and the route of the chase -- for you NorCal folks out there -- the Examiner did a piece on the film in 2003. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...6/MO305198.DTL one of my favorite films, timelessly cool indeed.

3. Soph

Soph Senior member

best fashion accessory in that film (other than Jacqueline Bissett at age 19) was the dark green Mustang GT 390 Fastback. The seminal Mustang vs. Dodge Charger 440 chase is something to behold.

For more on the cars and the route of the chase -- for you NorCal folks out there -- the Examiner did a piece on the film in 2003.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...6/MO305198.DTL

one of my favorite films, timelessly cool indeed.

--- Yes the car chase is awesome because it's gritty and very in the realm of reality.

4. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

I think so. Jazzy, confident, relaxed.

[​IMG]

5. jml90

jml90 Senior member

I attempted to modify this look for a 60s themed day at my school. Well, most said I looked just about the same as I do most days when not in uniform. Though, one student and a teacher (both movie buffs) cought on.

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I think so. Jazzy, confident, relaxed.

[​IMG]

One of the great houses in the city. Incredible view and the patio is amazing for parties.

7. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

That's good to know. BTW: Steve McQueen's height is listed at five foot ten, inches. I never thought he was that tall.

8. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, definitely timelessly cool. I'm a big proponent of the Bullitt look. I also like the McQueen haircut-sideburn situation. Classic.

9. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Yes, but I also think he has the build for it, that helps.

10. borderline

borderline Senior member

Just watched this for the first time. I really liked that maroon shawl cardigan that he wore towards the beginning of the movie. Don't have a photo. Actually, I would like to get that sweater in the same color/texture but as a half-zip pullover. Can't seem to find anything out there at the moment though.

11. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

Some stills from Bullitt.

12. dganderson

dganderson Senior member

McQueen always had a knack for dressing well whether it's dressed casual as mentioned before or more formal in a three piece suit. One of the great American style icons.

13. Artigas

Artigas Senior member

I was thinking about this just yesterday, having donned the turtleneck-with-sportcoat combo. Must have had McQueen on the brain, as I had watched The Thomas Crown Affair earlier this week, too.

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

McQueen was a natty dresser, but a lot of dudes who try to dress like him end up looking like they're trying to dress like Steve McQueen.

15. N.N.O.P

N.N.O.P Well-Known Member

couldn't agree more, timeless uber cool, + what a great lalo schiffren soundtrack!!