• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve Guttenberg on Analog vs. Digital Sound Quality

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I enjoyed this column:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20...?tag=mncol;txt

As to whether digital sounds better than analog, that's a moot point. A wise old audiophile once told me the best way to enjoy digital is never listen to analog, and it's still true. I enjoy digital for what it does well, but I can't go back and forth between CD/SACD/DVD-Audio discs and LPs. Digital just sounds boring and flat after you've spun a decent LP on a good turntable. High-resolution digital is certainly better sounding than MP3s or CDs, but high-res is nowhere as musically satisfying as LPs.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Nice to see him getting a gig after Police Academy.
laugh.gif
He's more Woody Allen than actor Steve Guttenberg in person.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i loved the gute. unfortunately, i subjected myself to this ******* travesty
518DF6VRV9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
and was so traumatized by how HORRIBLE it is that i've had to let my love die

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I always get him confused with Steve Landesberg.
confused.gif

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I enjoyed this column:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-20...?tag=mncol;txt

That is a truly awful article. First, it panders to its audience by doing the "all reasonable people agree that analog is more musical than digital" without any justification. He doesn't even try: he just asserts it.

And second, he is completely clueless in saying "virtually all the music you hear live ... is digital" when you can walk into any bar with live music, any classical music concert, any classical recital, many rock and pop concerts, and hear a totally analog playback chain, if not the direct acoustic output of the musicians. I can even walk down the street this month, and hear people singing!

I rate this article
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif
facepalm.gif

--Andre

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
I differ with Steve that I think good hirez digital can equal fine LP.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by A Y
That is a truly awful article. First, it panders to its audience by doing the "all reasonable people agree that analog is more musical than digital" without any justification. He doesn't even try: he just asserts it.
I don't see any evidence of the "all reasonable people agree." In fact he says the following:
As to whether digital sounds better than analog, that's a moot point. A wise old audiophile once told me the best way to enjoy digital is never listen to analog, and it's still true. I enjoy digital for what it does well, but I can't go back and forth between CD/SACD/DVD-Audio discs and LPs. Digital just sounds boring and flat after you've spun a decent LP on a good turntable. High-resolution digital is certainly better sounding than MP3s or CDs, but high-res is nowhere as musically satisfying as LPs.
Clearly he is expressing a personal opinion here. It's his blog after all. Reasonable people can disagree. I do think he is more right than wrong here even if we differ on the quality of hirez digital v. LP.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Beetleything
I don't.
Why do you feel this way? What gear are you using to listen to each format? I used to think LP > Hirez but recently I've been playing with and listening to better more reference level DACs and my opinion has changed. I still believe LP >> CD at 16/44.1.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads