• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stephane Jimenez Bespoke Shoes

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you for taking the time to clear things up. It is pretty clear to me the hi-res shots had to come from Jimenez directly. Not sure why agjiffy insists otherwise.

It would be a lot more helpful (for me anyway) if Jimenez has pics of the shoes on someone's feet that are already broken in. If all you post are product shots, it really begs the question of the motive of the thread.

Lastly, I was always taught self praise is no praise and your whole paragraph about being an expert really sounds (to me) like you are talking down to others. That is of course only my opinion and no offense meant.

I agree and would love to see shoes being worn by customers but for all I know the only finished shoes are not for members of SF or we would see many. That is why I've posted professional photos to hope that some SF people would try out a pair and then we could get some great shots.

I understand about the expert comment and I'm sorry if that came out wrong. I only did it because I had no idea who could be coming on the thread and wanted to hope that they would even consider if they heard about my expertise a bit.

It was not meant for any other reason.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Lastly, I was always taught self praise is no praise and your whole paragraph about being an expert really sounds (to me) like you are talking down to others. That is of course only my opinion and no offense meant.

Also on the comment about the self proclaimed shoe expect, I have been called that many times and I have people constantly asking me questions on the threads as well as through direct PM. I am on the field of medicine focusing on biomechanics and reconstructive foot/ankle surgery as well general podiatry. I have done research on the effects of different components of shoes on long and short term foot health as well as effects on other orthopedic problems. I also work as a consultant for various shoe companies around the world. It is up to you as the reader to believe what I say but based on a number of my posts, you should be able to see my level of expertise in many facets of this industry. I do it as a favor to help teach and advise many members of SF but don't have to do it. I could just be like many others on here and just brag about my shoe purchases of which many I don't post about to not make others jealous.

There's a big difference between self-praise and simple fact. Like the difference between a resume' and fanfare.

Stating your credentials, esp. in the face of ignorance masquerading as knowledge is no sin.

--

Last edited:

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the defense since you know me a bit better than many others on SF.

I appreciate it!

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm actually both. I do general podiatry but focus on biomechanics / sports medicine as well as reconstructive orthopedic surgery. I also work as a consultant for various shoe companies around the world.
Yea that would be nice but I haven't heard from any customers yet. I have not gotten a shoe yet either because my surgery schedule is too tough to make it to Europe right now and could only get a shoe if he would make it to the US.

Interesting. I thought DPM and orthopedic surgery MD are different fields.

I couldn't find any trace of client reviews on the French forums either. Delos, in the other hand, got quite a few client reviews across different forums before he became "famous" online.

Good shoemakers and good businessmen are two separate ideas.

ThunderMarch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also on the comment about the self proclaimed shoe expect, I have been called that many times and I have people constantly asking me questions on the threads as well as through direct PM. I am on the field of medicine focusing on biomechanics and reconstructive foot/ankle surgery as well general podiatry. I have done research on the effects of different components of shoes on long and short term foot health as well as effects on other orthopedic problems. I also work as a consultant for various shoe companies around the world. It is up to you as the reader to believe what I say but based on a number of my posts, you should be able to see my level of expertise in many facets of this industry. I do it as a favor to help teach and advise many members of SF but don't have to do it. I could just be like many others on here and just brag about my shoe purchases of which many I don't post about to not make others jealous.

I have friends who get busted on due to jealousy of other members not liking that we few spend 10s of thousands on shoes every year, because of our interest in the art, quality, and constant learning of ideas and creativity in this industry.

I hope that helps clear things up and have a nice day. Thank you for expressing your thoughts and concerns so if you need further explanation, just let me know and I'll do it when I'm not busy saving limbs and giving people the chance to walk and actually use the shoes that we love so much.

mw

Are you an orthopaedic surgeon?
Chogall's above statement certainly holds true where I come from. And also reflects my understanding.

Last edited:

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Interesting. I thought DPM and orthopedic surgery MD are different fields.

I couldn't find any trace of client reviews on the French forums either. Delos, in the other hand, got quite a few client reviews across different forums before he became "famous" online.

Good shoemakers and good businessmen are two separate ideas.

Are you an orthopaedic surgeon?
Chogall's above statement certainly holds true where I come from. And also reflects my understanding.

No I am a Podiatric surgeon. Most podiatrists either do no surgery or only minor surgery like bunions and hammertoes, but I have been trained differently and do reconstructive orthopedic surgery for ankles and feet as well. I work with an orthopedic surgery practice and this is only a very smal part of the field but the newer docs can put in the extra time to do this. It all depends on the training and what lifestyle the doc chooses to live. It is a sub specialty that most don't want because they could have just become a general ortho surgeon but I wanted the training of both. Trained at an MD school and became a DPM by choice.

Hope that helps a bit.

In terms of the French makers, I get what you mean about Delos and hope that a few members will give him a try to see his work and then post. As I've said, I'm too busy to get there in person but if he would come to the US in the future, I'd give him a shot

Would others order from him if he came to the US for trunk shows so we could see the work in person and meet him? Maybe if there are enough of us he would make the expensive trip. I asked him about that and he said he would come hit he would have to know at least a few confirmed purchases.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thank you for the defense since you know me a bit better than many others on SF.

I appreciate it!

+1

Sometimes I just have to shake my head....why do people buy multi $k shoes without knowing anything about them...anything about how they are put together or how that relates to objective quality...or even about feet in general, much less their own feet?

I suspect it's affectation. Pretense. A kind of "self-praise" that goes beyond anything as simple as stating your own credentials or even preferences. I suspect people buy such shoes (and many other consumables) simply to show off. To lay claim to a sophistication or social status that they do not really have nor have any right to claim.

And yes, there are many here that make it a point to look beyond the superficial bulling and patinas, etc.. But they are relatively few and usually not the most vociferous in defense of cachet or the box or the politic, "common man" dismissal of "expertise."

PS, and on edit...this is not really in response to anyone's comments, simply an observation from someone who has been in the same position.

Last edited:

ecwy

Reaction score
There's a big difference between self-praise and simple fact. Like the difference between a resume' and fanfare.

Stating your credentials, esp. in the face of ignorance masquerading as knowledge is no sin.

I assume your statement is directed at my comment.

Apparently I am not the only one who felt his post was self praise.

There is also a difference in the way you can present facts or any other information. I'm not questioning his credentials but the manner it was presented is awkward to say the least. Maybe it is the American way of doing things and there is a cultural difference in the interpretation of the same piece of information.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No I am a Podiatric surgeon. Most podiatrists either do no surgery or only minor surgery like bunions and hammertoes, but I have been trained differently and do reconstructive orthopedic surgery for ankles and feet as well. I work with an orthopedic surgery practice and this is only a very smal part of the field but the newer docs can put in the extra time to do this. It all depends on the training and what lifestyle the doc chooses to live. It is a sub specialty that most don't want because they could have just become a general ortho surgeon but I wanted the training of both. Trained at an MD school and became a DPM by choice.

Hope that helps a bit.

In terms of the French makers, I get what you mean about Delos and hope that a few members will give him a try to see his work and then post. As I've said, I'm too busy to get there in person but if he would come to the US in the future, I'd give him a shot

Would others order from him if he came to the US for trunk shows so we could see the work in person and meet him? Maybe if there are enough of us he would make the expensive trip. I asked him about that and he said he would come hit he would have to know at least a few confirmed purchases.

Interesting. I think its very narrow niche to cross Podiatrist w/ Orthopedics, or Optometrist w/ Ophthalmologist, or DDS w/ MD, as those are quite different degrees!

Pass, my hands are full.

G

Griffindork

+1

Sometimes I just have to shake my head....why do people buy multi $k shoes without knowing anything about them...anything about how they are put together or how that relates to objective quality...or even about feet in general, much less their own feet?

I suspect it's affectation. Pretense. A kind of "self-praise" that goes beyond anything as simple as stating your own credentials or even preferences. I suspect people buy such shoes (and many other consumables) simply to show off. To lay claim to a sophistication or social status that they do not really have nor have any right to claim.

And yes, there are many here that make it a point to look beyond the superficial bulling and patinas, etc.. But they are relatively few and usually not the most vociferous in defense of cachet or the box or the politic, "common man" dismissal of "expertise."

PS, and on edit...this is not really in response to anyone's comments, simply an observation from someone who has been in the same position.

I buy multi thousand dollar shoesbecause they look and feel better. At least that is my experience. I'm curious - do you ever speak about things other than shoemaking? For example, do you ever discuss politics, or the weather, or books? You don't have to be an expert in something to express an opinion. And how do I gain the knowledge about shoes? Do I have to read all your posts or make a pair from beginning to end? What about the fact that I've worn them every day of my life (save for a few really marvelous days at the beach)? Does that count for anything? And whose made bespoke shoes for you? Whose shoes have you worn, other than your own?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Well, yes and no. It just rankles if only because, in most cases, it's beside the point (see below)

There is also a difference in the way you can present facts or any other information. I'm not questioning his credentials but the manner it was presented is awkward to say the least. Maybe it is the American way of doing things and there is a cultural difference in the interpretation of the same piece of information.

I didn't...as is probably apparent from my comments.

Trouble is that people...for whatever reasons--among them a defensiveness that is all too often couched in uncertainty--focus too much on how something is said, rather than on what is said. It has nothing to do with culture...at least not from my perspective...but is, I suspect, often a tactic used to change the subject when all else fails. IMO, to focus on how something is said is just another aspect of superficiality.

--

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1

Because they can.

What quizzes or exams do your customer have to go through to buy shoes from you? A comprehensive exam about how much they understand shoemaking?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I buy multi thousand dollar shoesbecause they look and feel better. At least that is my experience. I'm curious - do you ever speak about things other than shoemaking? For example, do you ever discuss politics, or the weather, or books? You don't have to be an expert in something to express an opinion. And how do I gain the knowledge about shoes? Do I have to read all your posts or make a pair from beginning to end? What about the fact that I've worn them every day of my life (save for a few really marvelous days at the beach)? Does that count for anything? And whose made bespoke shoes for you? Whose shoes have you worn, other than your own?

Of course I talk about other things...read my posts in just this thread--they are only peripherally about shoemaking. but I don't pass myself off as knowing what I have no way of knowing. I don't defend positions I have no experience or background to verify.

And when I confront someone who "thinks" he knows more than me...or more to the point, when I come across information that I am not certain of (even in shoemaking )....I stop and 1) ask how the person I'm talking to knows that (asking for credentials is one way), or 2) ask for a logical, objective analysis, and / or 3) yield the point to someone with superior / or objective but pertinent knowledge.

For all of that, most of us in Western culture have worn shoes every day of our lives.You're not unique. It's a common...and commonly misunderstood and misinterpreted experience. Witness the many misfits and the need for podiatrists. Humans did not evolve to wear shoes nor are we born wearing them. It's fundamentally unnatural to human physiology.

Beyond that, wearing shoes doesn't give you any insights to how shoes are made much less what distinguishes quality from the ordinary. Why spend +/-$2k when $500.00 is adequate in most if not all cases? esp. in the absence of objective knowledge about the relative merits of specific construction techniques, leathers, etc..

--

Last edited:

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm sorry if it came off wrong and I didn't mean it. Many times I have to post these things quickly between my day because it varies greatly between seeing patients, operating, teaching, and doin consulting work. Not to mention a personal life. Haha

I hope my interaction here has been helping in that regard but it can be quite difficult to make a new thread when there are many members who love to just shoot down whenever they can just for the fun of it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics