• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Step up from Alden - where to go?

caledoniasoul2

Reaction score
Super traditional long time wearer of Alden shoes id now like to upgrade to something with a bit more style-yet still within business realm.

Can anyone suggest a next step.

CJ
Greene
Cleverly
Grenson Masterpiece
Sargents?
Vass

Would also appreicate general info on the fit of these brands and where to source them from in the States. Im an average fit-closer to narrow in the back, no arch and square front foot with longer second toe.

How do these shoes fit ? are there varied lasts within the manufactuer's line?
PS i kinda consider AE a lateral move from the aldens

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might also want to investigate JM Weston and John Lobb Paris. The demi-chasse (Weston) and classics collection for Lobb are both great. I would pick a particular style, then try on different models from the various companies and find a last that works best, and only then consider making a purchase.

BTW, how do you manage to wear Aldens? I have a narrow ankle and Alden has never worked for me. Green fits like a glove, but I can't afford more than a pair (or two).

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My $.02: I don't think Sargents or CJ Benchgrade are any step up from Alden, maybe even a step down. CJ Handgrades, maybe. Cleverly & Grenson Masterpiece, no experience. Ditto Vass, although I am inclined to believe it is definitely a step up. Green, definitely yes.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty broad question.... As for where to source them, where are you located?

As for fit, all except Vass come in varied widths, so unless your feet are very narrow, very wide or very long, you should be able to fit shoes from any of those makers. Vass RTW shoes fit different widths by fitting different lasts. Vass isn't available in the US right now anyhow, other than some leftover shoes at Sky Valet in Washington, DC and occasionally on EBay.

caledoniasoul2

Reaction score
thanks for the replies. To narrow it down a bit. Before a few months ago I had not bought a new pair of dress shoes for close to 5-6 years. Prior to that only aldens

I picked up a pair of dress lace ups and they dont fit as well as my older pairs -seems my feet have changed a bit. Since i dont neccessaryily need the aldens for fit -i thought id try something different. However i have tried some other brands in the past with miserable results, cole hann, and "cable & co." for example

Im in nyc- and i dislike barneys so cant in good faith trust thier shoe dept. So suggestions about where to try on the other makers would be appreciated. I dont know who carries green here ....

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would suggest Vass.

Go to Budapest. Get measured. Order a single pair. When you confirm that the fit is correct, order 4 more pairs.

Vass are the best value for money there is. They are equivalent in quality to bespoke John Lobb St. James at a fraction of the price.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads