• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Step Into Liquid: Highly recommended

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
I've had the poster for the surf film Step Into Liquid for quite a while now, but just purchased the DVD on Saturday and watched it for the first time. Here is the poster, which shows Laird Hamilton casually stalling into a tube the size of a house.

StepIntoLiquid.jpg

While I'm a surfer, I've never been much of a fan of surf films, but this is the most visually stunning and most enjoyable surf film I've ever seen. It's a film for everyone, not just surfers, that really succeeds in capturing the joy of the sport. It's one of the most unbelievable things I've seen. I can't get it out of my head.

The footage is surreal and the interviews are full of memorable quotes.

I highly recommend this to anyone and everyone.

designprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll highly endorse"Riding Giants"
A Stacy Peralta film. I like the style and especially the history of the big wave riders up to the present. Freakin' waves won't fit on the damn screen, they are THAT BIG!...then you'll see some tiny speck of a surfer...insane.
I showed this movie to my design class, they loved it!

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
don't surf but thought both were great. my only question is what was so great about that last wave that they showcased in "Riding Giants"? that set of waves out in the middle of nowhere in "Liquid" was so much more impressive.

-Jeff

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
I've had the poster for the surf film Step Into Liquid for quite a while now, but just purchased the DVD on Saturday and watched it for the first time. Here is the poster, which shows Laird Hamilton casually stalling into a tube the size of a house.

While I'm a surfer, I've never been much of a fan of surf films, but this is the most visually stunning and most enjoyable surf film I've ever seen. It's a film for everyone, not just surfers, that really succeeds in capturing the joy of the sport. It's one of the most unbelievable things I've seen. I can't get it out of my head.

The footage is surreal and the interviews are full of memorable quotes.

I highly recommend this to anyone and everyone.

Totally agree. The footage in this movie is amazing.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
The original Endless Summer was what got me into surfing in the first place. I actually own this movie (Step into..) and wont dare watch it again. I don’t just recommend this movie, I recommend surfing period. There is a certain catharsis that only surfing can provide.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
don't surf but thought both were great. my only question is what was so great about that last wave that they showcased in "Riding Giants"? that set of waves out in the middle of nowhere in "Liquid" was so much more impressive.

-Jeff

The beauty of this movie is that you don't have to surf to appreciate it.

I've surfed for over half my life. I started on Nantucket and have surfed in Puerto Rico, California, Indonesia and Japan. The sport has honestly changed my life for the better.

The final sequence of the giant waves out on Cortez Bank does an excellent job of conveying the feeling you get from one of those rare surf sessions where everything is perfect. It's really one of the most magical feelings it is possible to experience. I didn't know it was possible to convey that feeling through a film, but this one does. Part of that may have to do with the fact that the spot had never been surfed before, and we get to see it surfed for the first time by four of California's most respected big wave surfers.

The footage is also incredibly beautiful, and the natural beauty it captures is one of the finest things about the sport.

pscolari

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check out White Knuckle Extreme as well. It is absolutely amazing and can be found on Netflix.

gmac

Reaction score
I'd say Step Into Liquid is the best surfing movie I have ever seen, and it is totally accessible to the non-surfer. I took my kid to see it at the cinema, he was 5 at the time, and he was transfixed. We went with a non-surfer friend and he loved it too.

This is going to sound dumb but has anyone seen the girl surfer movie Blue Crush? Its a fairly typical girl meets boy, girl teaches boy how to surf, boy gets beat up by locals story set on the north shore but the surfing footage is incredible.

http://imdb.com/title/tt0300532/

Stax

Reaction score
I want to check this film out. I have heard great things.

My favorite surf flick is Morning of the Earth from 1972.

Morning-of-the-Earth.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics