Stefano branchini

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jrh, Feb 8, 2004.

1. jrh

jrh Well-Known Member

Several years ago I picked-up a pair of Stefano Branchini wing tip shoes in light antiqued tan.  Does anyone know much about this Italian shoe company?  The shoes are very nice with lots of hand work.  A bit funky, but very classy with squared toes.

2. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

If my memory serves me, the owner of Stefanobi started Branchini after selling Stefanobi to LVMH. As you said, they are very expensive, high quality handmade shoes.

I'm not fond of the overly extended and squared welt they often do, but have seen a few of the more conservative models that were quite nice. Wilkes Bashford carried them for a bit but they didn't go over that well. I think they are still pretty big in Japan. Naturlaut might be able to provide more insight - I htink he has mentioned them a few times.

3. naturlaut

naturlaut Senior member

Stefano Branchini now makes two lines of shoes. The top line is completely handmade, and prices can compare to Lattanzi. The other line is more like the top Mantellassi shoes (with the signature not sewn-on label), and the same factory also makes shirts and leather goods under his name. I often admire the many shades of colours he works with --- though not always wearable for a dork like me, but a real beauty nevertheless. Choosing leather colour is one of the highlights when doing bespoke Italian shoes.

I don't know if his shoes are available in US. In Japan they sell for around US$2000, and you will often see them selling out certain models even at this price.

4. jrh

jrh Well-Known Member

I found mine at Barney's in NYC. I recall they sold in 1993 for $750.00. The sales men said they came from a small shop and were hand made. I found them on sale. The box is a yellowish tan craft paper glued on card board; with hand written type in Italian.  There is a rope attached to the box to tie the top on.  The inside of the top has script in Italian. They are dated 26, Maggio 1993 and signed by Brauchini Stafanio (I think). The top of the box is labled in script Brauchini Calaolerig (I think).  There is a burgundy wax seal. A small type set label as StefanoBi. There is a Crest with a Capital B in the middle.  The soles have brass tacks in bunches of five along the edge and on the heal.  The laces came with tassells attached. Are  these the same selling for $2000.00 (wow.). Several Japanese web pages are showing these same shoes. see: http://www43.tok2.com/home....ni.html

5. A Harris

A Harris Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do yours have that braided welt? If so they would cost you bucks these days...

6. jrh

jrh Well-Known Member

The welt on my shoes are not braided. There are two rows of hand stitches. They are not perfect and thus have the true look of hand work.

7. TimelessRider

TimelessRider Senior member

8. jrh

jrh Well-Known Member

9. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

Picked up three Stefano Branchini shoes yesterday for Euro 150 each: A blue boot version of this: Brachini shoes A black boot version of this: Branchini shoes This shoe in light taupe with broguing on the tip: Branchini shoes Prices I paid any good? [​IMG]

10. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

The prices are good, but light taupe? Whatever next???

As Miss Jean Brodie (in her prime) might have said: "For those who like that sort of thing, it's the sort of thing they like."

11. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

[​IMG] But they looked great with a pair of jeans.. Maybe light taupe is the wrong description of the colour, it is actually more like this: http://branchini.wear.jp/item.asp?item_dat_id=4318 At least I didn't buy the Aubercy green bullfrog/stingray.......

12. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Sorry, my mistake. I confused "taupe" with some muddy, greyish-blue (kind of Eau-de-Nile in blue). What colour is that?

Whatever, I have no problems with tan as shoe colour in all its shades. It's only grey for shoes that I have a problem with. Yuk.

Again my apologies for thinking you could buy grey shoes.

13. PeterMetro

PeterMetro Senior member

azure?

14. discostu004

discostu004 Affiliate vendor

what are the prices on these? it's all gibberish on my computer

15. jcusey

jcusey Senior member Dubiously Honored

If my Gibberish Decipherer is working, 144,000 Yen, which translates to $1320 at today's exchange rates.