• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stefano Bemer

Naturlaut II

Reaction score
Just heard the news that Bemer just passed away. This is the official statement:

Last night our brother, friend, mentor and guiding light, Stefano left this world. His life had recently been made miserable by ill-health and even he, with his incredible joy of living and faith in the future, could not fight his fate.
We will do our utmost to continue that incredible adventure he started on 1983 and to value the extraordinary legacy he leaves us in terms of expertise knowledge and love for our work.
Stefano, wherever you are please rest assure that we will carry on, in your name and in the name of excellence you promoted all your shortlife.
Rest in Peace!

emptym

Reaction score
Wow. Very sad. My wife and I met him a few weeks ago. He was very nice to us. Looked a little sad and tired, but seemed healthy. I wonder what he died of.

Here's google's translation of the article DWD linked to:
Farewell to Stefano Bemer, the master cobbler soul of San Frediano. Bemer, 48, passed away Friday evening, leaving his wife and two children. The neighborhood is in mourning for the loss of one of the most representative. A story, that of Bemer, starting a native of Greve in Chianti, where he opened his first shoe repair shop before you arrive in Florence and perfect, coming to realize completely hand-made models, and are favorites among the jet set and many Italian and European noble families. A few years ago, the actor Daniel Day Lewis, on vacation in Tuscany, entered the shop of Bemer, who asked to go to him to learn how to make shoes by hand. The next day, and for eight months, showed up promptly at eight o'clock in the morning.

The master Bemer is gone after a long illness: "He never wanted to surrender and had a great strength of mind - he says his friend Alfredo Cozzi - had his dream, coming to Florence to Greve. Our heart is in pieces. "A life dedicated to San Frediano, where he was also involved in the revival of Rondinella.

"We leave prematurely a man who had been able to learn and embody the true essence of artisan Florence: Greve from his workshop in Oltrarno, with passion, imagination and entrepreneurial spirit, she created a brand known and appreciated around the world, which was a credit to city. To his family and the condolences of the administration of the Florentines. "Mayor Matteo Renzi it reminds Stefano Bemer, master shoemaker who died in Florence, author of a small entrepreneurial miracle that brought him from repairing shoes to dress the feet of the international jet set. "I hope - adds the mayor - that Bemer's shop continues his passionate work and that his example will be followed by the younger generations."

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A beautiful video of him and his work

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
This is very sad. His work looked exceptional.

RIP.

shoefan

Reaction score
Very sad indeed.

Sic transit gloria mundi.

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very sad news. He was an extremely passionate shoemaker.

standard.jpg

I spent a week with him for a personal project and am disappointed that he never got to see the final outcome.

standard.jpg

RIP.

Last edited:

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last edited:

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe...
Addio Maestro.

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wonder what he died of.

What an artist, sad indeed.

I'm going to speculate that it was probably some sort of blood dyscrasia (e.g. leukemia) or other cancer (if he smoked) based on his profession and high contact with aromatic hydrocarbons (e.g. naptha and byproducts in shoe polish).

I cringe every time I see someone polish shoes with bare hands. Sure the romance is there, but that stuff's toxic (or should be labeled and treated as such) - and washing one's hands aferwards doesn't necessarily get rid of all of the stuff.

As the saying go, "Disease comes through the mouth; (and Misfortune out of it)."

RIP.

- M

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just heard the news that Bemer just passed away. This is the official statement:
Last night our brother, friend, mentor and guiding light, Stefano left this world. His life had recently been made miserable by ill-health and even he, with his incredible joy of living and faith in the future, could not fight his fate.
We will do our utmost to continue that incredible adventure he started on 1983 and to value the extraordinary legacy he leaves us in terms of expertise knowledge and love for our work.. s
Stefano, wherever you are please rest assure that we will carry on, in your name and in the name of excellence you promoted all your shortlife.
Rest in Peace!

Naturlaut I would like to extend my condolonces - Bemer's life and work lives on in the people that loved him and worked with him and in those that share the products of his craft. What a good life- to carry on a great practical and artistic tradition and to have taken that art into places it has not been before.

If I'm not mistaken the great Koji Suzuki apprenticed with Bemer, along with Daniel Day Lewis of course.

Last edited:

gazman70k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Naturlaut I would like to extend my condolonces -   Bemer's life and work lives on in the people that loved him and worked with him and in those  that share the products of his craft.  What a good life-   to carry on a great practical and artistic tradition and  to have taken that art into places it has not been before.

If I'm not mistaken the great Koji Suzuki apprenticed with Bemer, along with Daniel Day Lewis of course.

Well said, Pliny.

Koji apprenticed under Roberto Ugolini not Stefano. DDL was of course his celebrity apprentice but his most accomplished apprentice, who is now an independent shoemaker, was Saskia Witmer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads