• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stefano Bemer Thread

Starlito

Reaction score
Regarding sizing should I order my regular size* for the S last or should I half size up ?
Thanks for your help

* John Lobb, Saint Crispins

BomTrady

Reaction score
Regarding instep, Vass is relatively high too compared to some of the English brands. But since you have Vass too, how does SB and Vass compare instep-wise?
Regarding sizing should I order my regular size* for the S last or should I half size up ?
Thanks for your help

* John Lobb, Saint Crispins
I size up from JL and St.C and get a pretty good fit with C and S. For SB, I get a higher instep and not quite as high arch support as St.C. With respect to Lobb, I get a much tighter heal and a little more room in the toe box with SB. Feel free to DM me if you want.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm hoping to get some advice on sizing. My feet are very average in the sense that conventional sizing advice works very well for me. I wear 8UK/US 9 in most brands (C&J, Bonafe, Carmina), and 8.5UK/9US in EG and G&G. In C and T lasts should I go with 42 or 42.5?

ITUSUK
428.5-98

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm hoping to get some advice on sizing. My feet are very average in the sense that conventional sizing advice works very well for me. I wear 8UK/US 9 in most brands (C&J, Bonafe, Carmina), and 8.5UK/9US in EG and G&G. In C and T lasts should I go with 42 or 42.5?

ITUSUK
428.5-98
Well, I heard back from Bemer this morning and they've suggested I size up to IT 43/US 9.5/UK9. In their opinion the other makers are more generously sized. At this point I think I'll either try my luck with 42.5 or get a trial shoe first

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well, I heard back from Bemer this morning and they've suggested I size up to IT 43/US 9.5/UK9. In their opinion the other makes are more generously sized. At this point I think I'll either try my luck with 42.5 or get a trial shoe first

that's interesting, I thought T is one of the generous last wouldn't have thought they would ask you to size up to 43.

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that's interesting, I thought T is one of the generous last wouldn't have thought they would ask you to size up to 43.
Yeah defintiely surprising. According to the website T has medium to low instep. From pictures, instep still seems slightly high to me.

I came across @Encore's post (below) after I posted my original message. If anything was thinking I'd need to size down to 42 for my US 9 feet (8.5E in G&G/EG)

Personal experience (I have low instep, flat feet, and small heel)

GG 8E in most lasts, maybe 7.5F will fit well too.
Vass F 41
AM 7.5E to 8E depending on lasts.

I take all SB lasts in 41, that includes C, S, JX, JS, J, TX, TX.

Their instep is quite high, toe box are quite generous compare with GG.

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1233AAB5-D27F-4F1D-B983-7C2345652A2F.jpeg

Encore

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah defintiely surprising. According to the website T has medium to low instep. From pictures, instep still seems slightly high to me.

I came across @Encore's post (below) after I posted my original message. If anything was thinking I'd need to size down to 42 for my US 9 feet (8.5E in G&G/EG)
I was just about to reply....

I have a low instep so sometimes it allows me to size down a half. but I think taking 42.5 is a bit risky, SB is a slightly larger shoes, I take EG in 7.5E and GG in 8E (never tried 7.5F but think it'd work), I am wearing 41 in all SB lasts but I think if my instep is normal, I would fit better in 41.5. In which case, I would suggest you to go 42.

BomTrady

Reaction score

ITUSUK
428.5-98
I am same as you in GG and EG and I am 42.5 SB - caveat -the instep will be higher in C and S.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok dug out my notes, I have only try on experience on the UES store, no real wearing experience so take as what it is

Round last T last/Chisel TX last 42.5

and I'm 9.5D US on the slightly wider side (only in toebox), slightly higher instep. For reference in CJ 341 I wear 8.5E UK, for EG/GG I take 9E UK, though for GG MH71 is the only one that's just barely workable (i.e. wish it's a bit less tight), TG73 and DG70 in 9E UK are both too tight in toebox (and up length is too long, up width probably a bit loose in heel).

CJ 348 8.5E UK is also probably a bit tight in toebox. AM Chisel 2 in 9E UK fits me well, Soft Square in 9E UK is "probably" too tight in toebox (I ordered 9F UK to be on the safe side, so never knew if 9E is truly too narrow, but feels like it's going to be that way).

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i.e. if I you told me you're 9D US, most 8 UK for CJ/Carmina, and 8.5 UK in EG/GG I would definitely have though 42

flylikeneagle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am same as you in GG and EG and I am 42.5 SB - caveat -the instep will be higher in C and S.
Hmmmmm... Or maybe just go 42.5 and ask them to send you additional insole for that last/ size.
i.e. if I you told me you're 9D US, most 8 UK for CJ/Carmina, and 8.5 UK in EG/GG I would definitely have though 42

Thank you! Appreciate all of your input. I'm leaning towards giving trial shoe a try first before ordering. Only a handful of RTW boots are available in 42/42.5 in any case, so the decision to hold off is made easier

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads