• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steel Toe vs Soft Toe Workboots

IrishDan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
If you are doing real work, I would forgo style and get steel toe.

+1

The boots are going to get fucked up anyway; scuffs, paint, etc.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's wrong with combat boots? Working at a night club, the amount of glass that would've otherwise left my foot a bloody mess are no problem with them.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kas
What's wrong with combat boots? Working at a night club, the amount of glass that would've otherwise left my foot a bloody mess are no problem with them.

a glass smashing to bits upon hitting your shoe is one thing, a piece of 2x4, or a 14" wrench, a ball hammer, a metal pipe or the legs of a sofa finding your big toe is another.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For building a house and renovations, I'd say just work boots. If you're going to be dealing with steel or led pigs or working in a steel mill, then I'd get steel toes.

milosz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never worn steel toes - but we do custom homes, remodels and commercial remodeling, rather than metal work or the like. I've dropped sheetrock, tools, paint cans and assorted other goodies on my feet and never done any damage.

The weight savings and comfort are worth the potential risk for me, but I'm walking a lot and visiting multiple sites in a day. And even soft-toe boots have enough strength to deflect a lot of stuff, rather than just caving in on your foot like a tennis shoe.

I'm wearing Red Wing 606s now. Ugly, but extremely comfortable.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a good choice. You could even wear them casually

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
get a good quality steel toe shoe if you are going that route.

a lower quality one can have the steel portion cave in (if something very heavy and/or pointed falls on your toes) and not only the steel portion buries into your toes, but will be encased in it (as it is steel).

American made Red Wings should do the trick.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just watch the soles of the red wings. One poster on a woodworking forum I visit was pissed when he payed 200$ for redwings and found that the soles left scuffs on the finished floors (tile, wood, etc) he walked on. I've heard the same from others and have stayed away from redwings for that reason. Just check em out before you put any real wear on them just to make sure, thats all.

dl

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dl20
Just watch the soles of the red wings. One poster on a woodworking forum I visit was pissed when he payed 200$ for redwings and found that the soles left scuffs on the finished floors (tile, wood, etc) he walked on. I've heard the same from others and have stayed away from redwings for that reason. Just check em out before you put any real wear on them just to make sure, thats all.

dl

If I'm not mistaken (and I'm too lazy to check), RW's website will show if there soles will scuff floors or not in addition to other characteristics of the boots. I made the mistake of buying a pair (not sure if they were RWs or not) which scuffed floors. That sucked.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no idea if the ones I bought scuff or not. I won't be wearing them indoors so it doesn't really matter. After the renovation is finished, they will be for working outside mostly.

BubblyMasquerade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have you ever dropped something on your toe and then in pain proceed to kick something with that same injured foot?

>,<

uhurit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my college years I worked at the UPS hub loading dock: steel-toed Red Wings all the way

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After lots of demolition I think the boots I chose are not for me and I doubt I can sell them. I stepped on quite a few nails but none actually made it into my foot.

1) I have a wide forefoot and after hours of wear, the steel does not stretch and my toes start to hurt quite a bit
2) I dropped some 2x4s on my foot just above the steel toe and it hurt like hell because the leather going across the top of my foot is tight across and only one layer since there are no laces and tongue.

I'm going to buy another pair of boots but don't see myself requiring anything too heavy from hear on out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads