• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steel Cut Oats

blank

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love steel cut oats. My morning shake is water, vanilla yogurt, steel cut oats, ground flaxseed, protein. But I also grind the oats into a fine powder in the blender when I get a bag, then store it in tupperware for easy scooping and dissolving and digesting. Do you still get the same nutritional value from them this way -- probably more, right, since I'll consume more and throw less out in the sludge at the bottom of the shake?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just as much. i like the texture they add to shakes, too.

rjmaiorano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steel cut oats are good. Negligible nutritional difference. whatever flips your flapjack.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have oatmeal almost daily. I like steel cut oats, but they take too long to prepare so I use the Quaker 1 minute oats.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I have oatmeal almost daily. I like steel cut oats, but they take too long to prepare so I use the Quaker 1 minute oats.

The difference in taste between quick oats and rolled oats is immense.

The difference in taste between rolled oats and steel oats is much smaller, but still noticable.

That and the fact that I can nuke rolled oats and create different types of texture just by playing around with the parameters make me a rolled oats man. I still like steel oats every once in awhile though.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How are you grinding up the oats for powder?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
If you can find it, Red River (wheat, rye and flax) is a nice change from steel-cut.

lefty

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
How are you grinding up the oats for powder?

blank said he used blender. I just put them into a coffee grinder (like people do with flax and spices); but, I've only done that once. I like my oats whole.

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A great "intermediate" is Bob's red Mill brand "scottish/stone ground" oats. I go through two bags a week.

Reaction score
My Zojirushi rice cooker takes all the pain out of making steel cut oats. After cooking, I add whiskey, Baileys irish cream, nuts, raisins, brown sugar, and whatever is in reach. McCann's in the can is the stuff I like.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
The difference in taste between quick oats and rolled oats is immense.

The difference in taste between rolled oats and steel oats is much smaller, but still noticable.

Huh? Quaker 1-minute oats are rolled oats, they're just smaller than Quaker Old Fashioned oats so they will cook faster.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
Huh? Quaker 1-minute oats are rolled oats, they're just smaller than Quaker Old Fashioned oats so they will cook faster.
The fat oxidizes faster as well. It changes the flavor. They tend to be more stale as well.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimdestroyedmylife
My Zojirushi rice cooker takes all the pain out of making steel cut oats. After cooking, I add whiskey, Baileys irish cream, nuts, raisins, brown sugar, and whatever is in reach. McCann's in the can is the stuff I like.

How exactly do you cook the oats in a rice cooker? We "lent" our rice cooker to my mother in law but could get it back.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blank
But I also grind the oats into a fine powder in the blender when I get a bag, then store it in tupperware for easy scooping and dissolving and digesting. Do you still get the same nutritional value from them this way -- probably more, right, since I'll consume more and throw less out in the sludge at the bottom of the shake?

Grinding grain causes it to go rancid faster. I suspect it's not fast enough to make any difference since oats are baked to inactivate the lipase. If it takes you more than a month or two to go through a bag you could keep your oat flour in the fridge?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
How exactly do you cook the oats in a rice cooker? We "lent" our rice cooker to my mother in law but could get it back.
It works very well, you just need to get the right water proportions. I got my measurements for it out of this book: http://www.amazon.com/Ultimate-Rice-...4266993&sr=8-1 If you use the search inside feature you should be able to read the section on cooking oatmeal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads