Steed (E. DeBoise) Bespoke Suit, Odd Jacket, and Odd Vest Fittings (Winter 2009)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by voxsartoria, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Though to some I am clearly deranged, the suit in blue/gray melange fresco from the Smith Finmeresco book that ordered this week from Raphael was some of the most bitchin' cloth I've run across. To make it worse, I went for 1/4 lined, triple patch pockets..[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I like your idea of deranged, sir.

2. Michael Ay329

Michael Ay329 Senior member

I think I might try a 13/14oz Fresco...would like to see striped stuff but always interested in stale Navy given Vox's recent Steed offering

I live in Los Angeles and work in a criminal court building 5 days a week, thus I think I'm a good candidate for a 13/14oz Fresco

Looks like my use for a suit and the region where I liv

And that Smith & Co Grey Merino Wool by Vox is nice...still hoping someone can provide me their contact info.

Could anyone provide a link to negative reviews, including prior posts by FNB, on the criticisms of Fresco (so that I can have a better balanced view)

If anyone could kindly post their Fresco suit...please do so and note the weight of the cloth if possible

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

4. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

I think that everyone understands your opinion on the weighty subject of fresco, but the lack of any agreement with it is imparting a persistant repetition to your comments that adds no new information yet is developing a flavor of stridency. Moreover, at least in this thread, as I read it, the only advice being imparted is from you: that is, avoid fresco except in the tropics, and maybe even then. Everyone else seems to be describing one of the things that they might like. As I read it, they do so without proscriptions. I certainly don't suggest that someone new to individualized garments adopt fresco as their first and universal project. But if someone did, I find that no worse than many things that people who have things made up do in vast variety.
    I have seen the cloth choices you make and you impress me as having considerable courage. Certainly, enough to not worry about what I think about fresco. [​IMG]
    The part about your opinion that stems from personal taste is fine, but it seems to me that it is you, and not others, who is attempting to be deterministic about choice. Moreover, your use of the phrase, "typical workplace," is insufficiently modified at best and detached from reality at worst. Without a modification, the concept that a custom suit done up in fresco is going to fail is plain silly when the typical workplace today nary has man in coat and tie, and in which anyone wearing nearly any suit is going to have the disadvantage of atypical formality. Anything would fail.
    I think the concept of workplace is more of a state of mind. For those who derive titillation via wearing things they think are elegant because and only because they are unusual, fresco is worth the physical inconvenience.
    But keep your anti-fresco efforts up...I am hopeful that you will accidentally come upon a new argument that could provoke new thought. [​IMG] - B
    You are mistaken, I am not anti-fresco. I am not anti heavy cloth, I am not any of the all or none things some of you try to make me. I have never believed what's good for me HAS to be good for everyone. If you need to live like this, we will never see eye to eye. I have no arguments with fresco, those are my opinions; they are honest and I believe I see the effects of clothes in a very objective manner. Good day, sir.

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Could anyone provide a link to negative reviews, including prior posts by FNB, on the criticisms of Fresco (so that I can have a better balanced view).

AFAIK, the only person to have criticized fresco specifically is FNB.

So, if you really wish to read repetitions of what he has already written in this thread, simply go into advanced search, put in the word "fresco" and then put his username in the username field.

Similarly, I would say that dopey has written the most comprehensively about what he likes about it...do the same type of search.

Finally, you can torture yourself with a full read of Manton's BlazerSuit thread, since the first BS is made up from fresco.

- B

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Here are a few lightweight ones: [​IMG] [​IMG] Back view:[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012

8. Mildly Consumptive

Mildly Consumptive Senior member

If anyone could kindly post their Fresco suit...please do so and note the weight of the cloth if possible

This is the best I can do. 13 ozish.

[​IMG]

9. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

This is the best I can do. 13 ozish. [​IMG]
    Is that the original suit the guy in your avatar wore? [​IMG]

10. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Goodness. I hope you don't wear that stuff to work...

Here are a few lightweight ones:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Back view:[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

^ Love that whole first outfit, M.

12. randallr

randallr Senior member

Goodness. I hope you don't wear that stuff to work...

It really isn't appropriate.

13. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

It really isn't appropriate.

Nor admirable.

14. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

It's too formal for California, or really, for any part of Mexico.

- B

15. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

It's too formal for California, or really, for any part of Mexico.

- B

Are you a friend of Bruce?