• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

steamers

seoulfully

Reaction score
So I'm looking at getting a steamer. Based on the searches I've run, seems like the Jiffy ESteamer is the choice on the forum. But does anyone know anything about this:

conair steamer

it's the same price as Jiffy, but is a floor model, etc etc etc. Only asking because Jiffy isn't available via Amazon Prime (thus no cheap overnight shipping) and I have a BBB near me. Or does anyone have any other recommendations that would be available in local stores (i.e. major retailers, e.g. Sears, Target, BBB, etc).

Rolo

Reaction score
I just bought the Rowenta DZ9080 Advancer Iron which can also be used as a steamer. Not only is it a great iron, but it works better as a steamer than some of the dedicated steamers I've owned in the past.

alflauren

Reaction score
I have the Jiffy travel steamer. It is excellent, and the only one that use - even at home. Highly recommended.

Also, stay away from the Cleveland brand.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolo
I just bought the Rowenta DZ9080 Advancer Iron which can also be used as a steamer. Not only is it a great iron, but it works better as a steamer than some of the dedicated steamers I've owned in the past.

+1 on the dual purpose rowentas, people tell me I am nuts to pay so much for an iron. I tell them they've never had a crease in their pants as crisp as I have.

rabbimark

Reaction score
I just bought the Rowenta Commercial Steamer (model IS 8100) at Bed Bath & Beyond for about $160. My gf later told me she had a 20% off coupon. Great, thanks.

Anyway, the heat-up time was lightening fast and it worked incredibly well. Many of my suits had been battered by my recent move from NYC to Orlando and were the worse for wear, but the steamer just knocked them into shape.

It also vastly improved the look of an older (5+ years ago) suit coat I have, where the tailor really slammed the lapel crease. Now I have a gentle roll to the top button and it looks much more elegant.

The iron is, of course, necessary for putting a good crease in one's trousers, but for suit coats and knocking out wrinkles, the steamer is the way to go.

wheelerray

Reaction score
Whichever brand you buy, I really recommend a floor model. The first one I bought had a door hook, and SUCKED.

I then bought a floor model with telescoping rack similar to the Conair (forget which brand) that had a 1700watt draw, which I think is the most you can get for household 110v use, and love it.

If I had the space for a steam press, I'd get one--but not until some kids move out.

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seoulfully
So I'm looking at getting a steamer. Based on the searches I've run, seems like the Jiffy ESteamer is the choice on the forum. But does anyone know anything about this:

conair steamer

it's the same price as Jiffy, but is a floor model, etc etc etc. Only asking because Jiffy isn't available via Amazon Prime (thus no cheap overnight shipping) and I have a BBB near me. Or does anyone have any other recommendations that would be available in local stores (i.e. major retailers, e.g. Sears, Target, BBB, etc).

Funny you post this: I was in BBB on Saturday and bought this on impulse. I really like it. You have to know though, that a steamer is not the end all. It won't eliminate all ironing. But I find it is nice to pull an ironed shirt out before you wear it and give it a good steaming. Some of the heavier, oxford fabric style shirts I find I can just steam them and skip ironing all together.

I say its highly worth it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads