1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Steamers are worth their weight in gold

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Recoil, Sep 6, 2008.

1. CharlesAlexander

CharlesAlexander Senior member

Here's a quiz: What are these threads about?

Men's Clothing: Steamers are worth their weight in gold.

Social Life, Food and Drink: Steamers are worth their weight in gold.

Body Consciousness: Steamers are worth their weight in gold.

Dumb Threads: Steamers are worth their weight in gold.

That one is especially disturbing.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Please please please do not steam a suit!

Wool is a hair like the stuff on top of your head; when a suit has been finished, about an hour is spent pressing it, molding that hair into a shape, much like when a woman puts her hair in curlers. Pressing is an art form in itself which, when badly done, can destroy a suit. Likewise, steam in the hands of the inexperienced can ruin the careful shaping that the pressing has given it. Think of how women squeal about their hair when it is humid or rainy out; that's what steaming is going to do to your suit.

I hesitate to even suggest you take your suit to the cleaners for a pressing as most of them will do a poor job as well; find a reputable tailor and ask him who does his pressing, as the chances are very good that he sends his work out to be done on specialized equipment. Failing that, find the best cleaners in town and have them give it a pressing. A good suit will recover between wearings, and little creases in the elbow, knee and back can be gently removed with an iron and a little steam (use a rolled up towel in the sleeve).

Your suit will love you for it.

no

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

Puffy man says "hello" to this thread:

[​IMG]

- B

4. jefferyd

jefferyd Senior member Dubiously Honored

Puffy man says "hello" to this thread:

[​IMG]

- B

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

5. ceaton

ceaton Senior member

British Columbia by day, Washington by mail.
    Please please please do not steam a suit!

Wool is a hair like the stuff on top of your head; when a suit has been finished, about an hour is spent pressing it, molding that hair into a shape, much like when a woman puts her hair in curlers. Pressing is an art form in itself which, when badly done, can destroy a suit. Likewise, steam in the hands of the inexperienced can ruin the careful shaping that the pressing has given it. Think of how women squeal about their hair when it is humid or rainy out; that's what steaming is going to do to your suit.

I hesitate to even suggest you take your suit to the cleaners for a pressing as most of them will do a poor job as well; find a reputable tailor and ask him who does his pressing, as the chances are very good that he sends his work out to be done on specialized equipment. Failing that, find the best cleaners in town and have them give it a pressing. A good suit will recover between wearings, and little creases in the elbow, knee and back can be gently removed with an iron and a little steam (use a rolled up towel in the sleeve).

Your suit will love you for it.

I don't think anyone is recommending steaming lapels, but for backs and pants??? come on...

6. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I don't think anyone is recommending steaming lapels
    I do. I steam the lapels of my suits and coats to give them back their roll after travel or if they've been compressed flat in my (narrow) closet. Works like a charm

7. padronlover

padronlover Senior member

what kind of steamer do you have?

8. jefferyd

9. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Senior member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

- B

10. jefferyd

[​IMG]

- B

You have no power here- begone before somebody drops her house on you!
    -Glinda

11. pk977

pk977 Well-Known Member

I agree, easy to use with better result. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rds=Model+J-2000+Residential+garment+steamer+