• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steam suits in Bathroom?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wear my suits once a week and b/c I work in a restaurant they can be pretty smelly after work. I am just curious as to what y'all would suggest for getting out the smells. Obviously you can use the approach of air-drying it outside, spraying with Febreeze or another freshener. I have been putting the suit in my bathroom while I shower. Then when the steam builds up I will run the fan. Any thoughts about this procedure?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That will only remove creases but ventilating them outside for the smells.

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or you could spend $150 on a Jiffy-2000 Steamer and do it the right way.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're working in a restaurant, you're probably getting a lot of grease in the fibers. Your only option, I think, is really going to be frequent dry cleaning. Moths are gonna eat 'em up, too.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
If you're working in a restaurant, you're probably getting a lot of grease in the fibers. Your only option, I think, is really going to be frequent dry cleaning. Moths are gonna eat 'em up, too.

So do you think I should keep the stuff in my closet that turns moths away? I am not spending $150 on a steamer. That's insane!

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by westinghouse
Or you could spend $150 on a Jiffy-2000 Steamer and do it the right way.

Wouldn't this destroy the fabric over time? Do you really think this is a good investment. Do you have one yourself?

js4design

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
So do you think I should keep the stuff in my closet that turns moths away? I am not spending $150 on a steamer. That's insane!

more insane than replacing suits multiple times a year? a steamer is offset by dry cleaning savings quickly.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by js4design
more insane than replacing suits multiple times a year? a steamer is offset by dry cleaning savings quickly.

I agree. Plus you only have to buy the steamer once and it is good for all sorts of stuff. I have even used mine to steam drapes and stuff.

I'm not an expert, but I believe steaming kills moth larvae too.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bleachboy
I agree. Plus you only have to buy the steamer once and it is good for all sorts of stuff. I have even used mine to steam drapes and stuff.

I'm not an expert, but I believe steaming kills moth larvae too.

Does it just remove creases? Or does it also help remove the smell? This may actually be a good investment when I splruge on my next item b/c I have four quality suits that I rotate to wear 4 days a week.

bleachboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does it just remove creases? Or does it also help remove the smell? This may actually be a good investment when I splruge on my next item b/c I have four quality suits that I rotate to wear 4 days a week.

Well, my clothes don't really smell, so I can't answer to that. I do know that steam is by definition hotter than boiling water, so at the very least it ought to kill bacteria or whatever, which seems like it ought to also prevent odors. Of course, if the cloth is impregnated with airborne vaporized bacon grease or something, I dunno.
smile.gif

1up2down

Reaction score
Working in a restaurant is tough on clothes for sure. Especially if you spend time in the kitchen.

I worked at a restaurant quite a while a go. I had what I'll call, "Work Clothes," that I only wore while working at the restaurant. I would never have wore one of my other suits to work...

Depending what your position is at the restaurant is a factor as well. If I were a waiter/server, I would do my best to have pants that I could wash. If you are in a position that requires you to wear the normal "suit," or if the establishment requires it, it seems to be that your compensation should be equal to the tasks (and clothes you need to wear,) to fulfill them.

A good washing is really the only way you will get clothes clean and odor free; and even this is limited. The steaming may work for a while, but time IS going to catch up and a point will be reached that it becomes ineffective.

Your clothes are just going to have a shorter life. That's all there is too it..

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 1up2down
Working in a restaurant is tough on clothes for sure. Especially if you spend time in the kitchen.

I worked at a restaurant quite a while a go. I had what I'll call, "Work Clothes," that I only wore while working at the restaurant. I would never have wore one of my other suits to work...

Depending what your position is at the restaurant is a factor as well. If I were a waiter/server, I would do my best to have pants that I could wash. If you are in a position that requires you to wear the normal "suit," or if the establishment requires it, it seems to be that your compensation should be equal to the tasks (and clothes you need to wear,) to fulfill them.

A good washing is really the only way you will get clothes clean and odor free; and even this is limited. The steaming may work for a while, but time IS going to catch up and a point will be reached that it becomes ineffective.

Your clothes are just going to have a shorter life. That's all there is too it..

Good point. Well my position requires that I wear a suit and tie to work everyday. And I am not in the position to buy suits just to sit in my closet and look good. The only reason I buy suits is for work.

69clyde

Reaction score
Insane? Why? Too low end. I own a Rowenta iron I paid $200.00 for. Your clothes are an investment, so invest in your clothes.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
Wouldn't this destroy the fabric over time? Do you really think this is a good investment. Do you have one yourself?

great investment if you like clean suits. Wont destroy it anymore than the grim thats building up on the suit from wearing it in a restaurant everyday.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So the overall consensus is that the steamer will do more good than bad for the suit? How often do you steam your suits then? I may purchase this somewhere down the line...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads