1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Steam Iron Purchase - Help!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jay687, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:51 AM.

1. Jay687

Jay687 Senior Member

I can't settle on a steam iron or steam generator to get. I'd pay $300-400 if it was something I could rely upon. However, the reviews just aren't there for anything they sell in the US.

You have Rowenta but every review I read seems to say these are not reliable anymore. Even the ones made in Germany seem to be relying on brand name and the quality isn't there.

I have seen Reliable being another good brand... but these also have hit or miss reviews.

It looks like Europe and the UK has such better options. They have great irons from Philips, Tefal and Bosch. However, none of these are options I can consider because they are all on 220V.

Any and all help appreciated. I'm looking for something that will last and that I don't need to worry will breakdown in a year or go ruining my clothes.

2. jefferyd

jefferyd Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

What features do you need that would make you open to spending that much money?

3. alexSF

alexSF Distinguished Member

With that budget I would avoid commercial brands and instead buy a professional semi-industrial steam generator like Battistella Vaporbaby/Vaporino or similar products from brands like Bieffe and Michelini.
    They all have copper or alluminium boiler with external heating resistor and high quality irons, they will last decades.

4. jefferyd

That amount of steam without vacuum might be impractical; I would personally get a cheaper gravity feed and a vacuum table.

5. Jay687

Jay687 Senior Member

It's mostly that I would rather take care of something well and have it last decades then have something sputter water or go up in smoke after months or a few years at best.

The Rowenta and Reliable stuff I see are plagued with reviews about leaking, burning clothes, going up in smoke, horrible customer service.

But then every other brand is basically just $50 irons that have similar poor reviews and I'm really not looking to cheap out on anything.

I want something that can produce enough steam, give me no worries of tearing my clothes due to faulty soleplate, no worries that the thing will die on me or leak and cause headaches a year or 2 from now.

Do I want to really spend $300+? Not particularly but this also might put me in the realm of steam generators that have a larger water capacity then what's in a handheld steam iron. That is also a potential requirement. I've thought about vacuum boards and such but those are $300+ for just the board... no? I'd think I would be paying $500+ if I also need a good iron.

But if I could pay in the $300 or so range for a board and an iron... that's fine. I want this stuff to last decades though. But there really seems to be a gap in the market here considering the terrible reviews I see across the board on all consumer irons sold in the US.

6. Jay687

Jay687 Senior Member

The Battistella look like they are 220V and will not work in the US (at least not with my electrical setup).

I'll look into Bieffe and Michelini though. Thanks!

7. Jay687

Jay687 Senior Member

Bieffe and Michelini suffer same voltage issue.

I don't get why Europe has so many quality ironing options but not the US?

8. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

Do people in the US not use steam to press trousers or do they take them to a dry cleaner? Had there been a market logic would say several manufacturers would see the opportunity. What voltage is used in the States?

9. Jay687

Jay687 Senior Member

Voltage here is 110 or 120.

10. jefferyd

I think you should look at gravity feed irons-I had a silver star for fifteen years. They’re designed for industrial use so they’re built to last. The Teflon shoes are cheap(ish) and replaceable so when it wears out you just replace the shoe, not the iron. They produce enough steam. In fact, as I mentioned before, the steam generators are overkill without vacuum- generally you want the cloth to be dry before moving it and with that amount of steam you would have to use a lot of heat which isn’t great for the fibers, or press gently and wait for it to dry.

In case you’re wondering, I’m a tailor and I work in a clothing factory.

11. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

Does that tell us that the water cannot be heated to raise adequate steam?

12. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

No. That is not a problem.