• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steam Cleaning Dry Cleaning-Only Clothes

Sadly Not Yohji Yamamoto

Reaction score
For light cleaning—no odors, no stains—can steam cleaning be used instead of dry cleaning for clothing that usually requires dry cleaning (so the label states)? I ask specifically for pants made merino wool with viscose lining.

When googling this I found a small number of posts directly addressing steam cleaning with wool. To my recollection all the posts are in favor of it, but most address steaming as a ironing replacement. I did speak to one dry cleaner who recommended steam cleaning as a viable option and was about to go for it, but I hesitated, and thus googling and this forum post, when another dry cleaner recommended against it for wool.

Steam cleaning seems to be, if this is correct (https://www.thelaundress.com/clean-...y-you-your-wardrobe-should-love-steaming.html), an exceptional option for light cleaning of all fabrics, as it kills most germs and bacteria.

Have others heard about the appropriateness of steam cleaning for wool from reliable sources? And would a handheld steam cleaner one can easily buy be comparable to having it steamed at the cleaners?

Thanks.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woolen trousers are actually not damaged by gentle machine or hand washing (cold water, no dryer!) because unlike jackets they have no canvassing or structure. The issue is retaining the creases and pleats. So steam cleaning could present the same problem as washing. Worst case, you'd need to take it in for professional pressing afterwards.

stubloom

Reaction score
After having read the link provided, I would still require a definition of "steam cleaning" in order to answer your question.

Given that most garments have 2 types of stains -- oil-based and water-based -- I have no idea how garments can be "cleaned" with the application of "steam" alone. How can "steam" possibly remove any oil- or water-based stains?

Let's use 2 examples of garments that have been previously worn to illustrate the point: (1) a "dry clean only" black silk crew neck shirt and (2) a "machine washable" white cotton crew neck shirt.

Is there anyone who would believe that the black silk crew neck shirt can be "cleaned" with "steam cleaning"? Is there anyone who would believe that the white cotton crew neck shirt can be "cleaned" with "steam cleaning"?

My conclusion? "Steam cleaning" is useless as a cleaning process.

It even fails miserably as a marketing gimmick.

Last edited:

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After having read the link provided, I would still require a definition of "steam cleaning" in order to answer your question.

Given that most garments have 2 types of stains -- oil-based and water-based -- I have no idea how garments can be "cleaned" with the application of "steam" alone. How can "steam" possibly remove any oil- or water-based stains?

Seems to me that "steam cleaning" is a marketing term that's a figment of someones imagination.
This is a good point, I don't get what is meant by steam cleaning either.

Stuart Midgley

Reaction score
Does steam cleaning use real steam (the invisible, colourless gas form of water) or does it use water vapour (the 'whisps of steam' we see coming out of a kettle, which are really liquid water in very small droplets floating in the air)? Real steam is a serious solvent, and quite dangerous if not handled properly - just ask anyone who ever worked in a steam-powered ship or power station.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads