• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"stealth wealth"

giantreptile

Reaction score
so based on LA Guy's answer to one of my questions, I'd like to get an idea of this 'stealth wealth' phenomenon. What makes something stealth wealth? what designers come to mind?

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by giantreptile
so based on LA Guy's answer to one of my questions, I'd like to get an idea of this 'stealth wealth' phenomenon. What makes something stealth wealth? what designers come to mind?

It'd be nice if you let us in on what you are talking about. Perhaps a link or a quote?

giantreptile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
It'd be nice if you let us in on what you are talking about. Perhaps a link or a quote?

sorry, assumed it would be well known by other members (la guy: did you just make that term up on the spot???) Anyway, here's the context, regarding the brand, Common Projects:

"But let's face it, you are paying for the exlusivity - the very subtle branding is designed to appeal to the whole 'stealth wealth' thing"

giantreptile

Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
Maybe something along the lines of Jil Sander, Costume National, Helmut Lang, Martin Margelia, or Dries van Noten?

i can see that. although i always just called them 'minimal'.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
it sounds like it's something that looks plain to you and the masses but is really expensive. i don't see the point.

like the Common Project shoes at Steven Alan look really cool and you might be able to pat yourself on the back for it. but damn, get a pair of white Chucks and invest the rest in an index mutual fund.

i think another example of "stealth wealth" is people taking the Nudie stitching off their brand new $200 pair of jeans.

-Jeff

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
yea the term isnt anything new....like Jeff said, it's wearing something unassuming and otherwise plain looking, but because of factors involving construction, fabric, fit, etc, the price is very high. To an uneducated eye, they would wonder why it costs so much when it seems you can get the same thing for much much less.

Jil Sander suits are a good example. Same with, say, a pair of wingtips from Edward Green shoes.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I saw the term in British GQ a few years back.

One of the points of stealth wealth is that you buy things because you want them, not because they're in, or they're expensive, or that others think you should have them. They gave it a sort of "shabby chic" or "old money" feel.

For instance - "new money" is a closet full of Armani, but "stealth wealth" involves well-worn Harvie & Hudson shirts and your grandfather's cashmere blazer, even if you can afford a closet full of armani.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not my term, though I wished I'd thought of it first. I think that Get Smart has gotten most of what I'd want to explain down. There are also generally other factors involved, (Get Smart already gave you the positive ones) Usually there is no visible, or some very obscure, branding, which is identifiable only by others in the know, so to speak. Often, the branding it is in plain view but generally not recognized, like the four stitches of a Margiela label, or the R or horse's head of R by 45RPM jeans. And in general, the pieces are plain, except for details that are appreciated only by other aficionados. The stitching on the back of Dior Homme jeans, for example. It can be a little obnoxious sometimes. It's like the club without a sign, which essentially tells the world "You are not cool enough to come in unless you are cool enough to have heard of this club."

yawn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
i think another example of "stealth wealth" is people taking the Nudie stitching off their brand new $200 pair of jeans.

-Jeff

i did this. but that was because i thought the stitching was just plain ugly, yet liked the fit of the jeans.

xcoldricex

Reaction score
Originally Posted by gamelan
it sounds like it's something that looks plain to you and the masses but is really expensive. i don't see the point. like the Common Project shoes at Steven Alan look really cool and you might be able to pat yourself on the back for it. but damn, get a pair of white Chucks and invest the rest in an index mutual fund. i think another example of "stealth wealth" is people taking the Nudie stitching off their brand new $200 pair of jeans. -Jeff
not everyone wants to walk down the street screaming "LOOK AT ME I SPEND A TON OF MONEY ON CLOTHES!"

Goblin

Reaction score
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
not everyone wants to walk down the street screaming "LOOK AT ME I SPEND A TON OF MONEY ON CLOTHES!"
The only way I'd do that would be if I were naked.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
It's like the club without a sign, which essentially tells the world "You are not cool enough to come in unless you are cool enough to have heard of this club."

The point is that it (the clothing, at least) doesn't say much to most of the world.

rnrswitch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
It's not my term, though I wished I'd thought of it first. I think that Get Smart has gotten most of what I'd want to explain down. There are also generally other factors involved, (Get Smart already gave you the positive ones) Usually there is no visible, or some very obscure, branding, which is identifiable only by others in the know, so to speak. Often, the branding it is in plain view but generally not recognized, like the four stitches of a Margiela label, or the R or horse's head of R by 45RPM jeans. And in general, the pieces are plain, except for details that are appreciated only by other aficionados. The stitching on the back of Dior Homme jeans, for example. It can be a little obnoxious sometimes. It's like the club without a sign, which essentially tells the world "You are not cool enough to come in unless you are cool enough to have heard of this club."

Ditto on that club thing... although I do find myself liking the subtle nuances of fine denim and leather that isn't branded. I consider myself the working class snob. I don't buy much, but when I do buy it. I go for straight quality... although you may disagree with me on the Jean Shop jeans.

benchan

Reaction score
I came across the term "stealth wealth" on Forbes yrs ago, and the examples it gave were something like "cashmere socks and underwear
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads