Steal of a deal

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vero_group, Nov 6, 2003.

1. vero_group

vero_group Senior member

This is just a fun thread I wanted to start for us bargain hunters out there:

What's the best "price-to-value" deal that you've ever scored on brand new merchandise?

Maybe you won an authentic Kiton suit on eBay for $25.00, or maybe a retailer kept marking down an Oxxford shirt until you picked it up for $9.00 on a 15% off Father's Day sale or something. Many of us probably have some incredible stories to tell...

What's your best story?

2. Alias

Alias Senior member

I managed to get a suit that cost abour $800 for less than $200, thanks to a 30%-off sale and several gift certificates that were given as gifts to my family. Brand-new, and it's probably the best suit I own.

3. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

Ebay steals:

Diamante Blue Super 150's Double breasted Kiton suit on ebay for.....300 bucks.

Brand new Isaia suit....500 bucks.

Brand new Belvest suit...400 bucks.

RLPL Super 120's suit...300 bucks.

Kiton 7-fold tie...20 bucks.

Incotex slacks...30 bucks.

keep in mind, this was in the early days of Ebay, bargains there are much harder to find now.

4. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

i'm not much of a bargain hunter, but the best deal i've scored, percentage wise, was a pair of dress pants at the macy's men's store. i payed $20, marked down from $120. They were from the spring collection and i got them in late summer.

5. Thumby55

Thumby55 Member

hmmm....Haven't got many deals recently but Bluefly have provided me with many a bargain. I got a pair of the infamous Prada sport pants with the side zipper for under $100 (with $24.95 shipping to Canada). I also got a few Diesel items for about 75%-80% off retail. Holt Renfrew is usually pretty good at the end of a season. I got 2 french cut Burberry dress shirts for less than $150 CAD. Here's a pic of one of the shirts (It's blue and white instead of the Lilac pictured...Came with cool cufflinks too) [​IMG]

6. FCS

FCS Senior member

Know some other high-end outlets around TO? Thus far I only know 3: Harry Rosen, Holt Renfrew, and Dack's Shoes.

7. hermes

hermes Senior member

kiton seven fold tie US$14.00
    marked down at a nm last call

hermes dress shirts CHF50.00 (=US$35.00)
    at an hermes store in switzerland

etro sport type pull over sweater CHF35 (=US$20.00)
    at an etro outlet in switzerland

8. Thumby55

Thumby55 Member

FCS, I don't know of anything else in Toronto. In London there's a good place called Channers, they have pretty decent sales (www.channers.ca). As a warning, their website sucks and is way outdated.