• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 42" with the 3 trellis burners and one sear burner, which is different than the Aspire. The rotisserie with flat top mount sear, which I use a salamander to get cheese to melt on nachos and to brown some veggies. It really is amazing. The details they thought of are next level when it comes to grills. being that everything is reversible, really help keep it clean and cooking nicely, although I think I have to do some adjusting.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are making me want to get a gas grill. I have to admit that the Memphis pellet pooper, good as it is, is still really a smoker pulling double duty.

I’m going to have the fieldstone wall behind the grill station built up to 7 feet to better hide the well head and assorted garden irrigation crap. I could have the masons make me an outdoor kitchen island at the same time? Or just have two carts out there I guess?

61801DE7-3BE5-4515-AA0A-106F8A94A1F6.jpeg

Also, steak.

DDA7E221-A42C-44E5-B487-039157029536.jpeg

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is as cool as it looks, and really does the job. I haven't made my own dough yet, but the preformed doughs i get work well. I need to find premade 00 flour doughs, as those would cook really nicely in there. The thing gets scorching hot with a flame that rolls over the top, and given the kids and time restrictions, the propane option is great! I haven't used the wood burning box yet.
Have you tried anything besides pizza? Like a quick roast of veggies or something? I wonder if it would quick cook and put a nice char on some sprouts/carrots/broccoli/etc. Or making naan.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I made some naan on the KJ once and it was spectacular. Had it cranked up at 600F or so and the half moon cast iron griddle in place. So good with a hint of smoke.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 42" with the 3 trellis burners and one sear burner, which is different than the Aspire. The rotisserie with flat top mount sear, which I use a salamander to get cheese to melt on nachos and to brown some veggies. It really is amazing. The details they thought of are next level when it comes to grills. being that everything is reversible, really help keep it clean and cooking nicely, although I think I have to do some adjusting.

Mine is the same but with just the flat top sear. Do you find utility in having one zone as a sear burner?

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are making me want to get a gas grill. I have to admit that the Memphis pellet pooper, good as it is, is still really a smoker pulling double duty.

I’m going to have the fieldstone wall behind the grill station built up to 7 feet to better hide the well head and assorted garden irrigation crap. I could have the masons make me an outdoor kitchen island at the same time? Or just have two carts out there I guess?

View attachment 1223552

Also, steak.

View attachment 1223554

I personally love having it all built in. I think it looks cleaner and if you are making a wall anyway, it will give you more patio space to have it all built in. Plus on the high end grills the carts are an extra couple thousand dollars (2k for the Hestan cart). Of course having to add stainless drawers and access cabinets can be just as expensive depending on what you get and there is the added cost of plumbing in the gas/electric if its not already there.

The downside to built in is flexibility. I didnt have them make a space for a ceramic cooker and now i kick myself for it.

Edit: looking at your pic again, if you did a built in kitchen, you could probably make a wall less than 7 feet high and have the grill / smoker block out some of the items you find unsightly.

Last edited:

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have done chicken wings in a cast iron, right in the Roccbox. Awesome. Have to watch the sugar burn on those. I haven't done steak, but they have some amazing recipes and youtube videos on other ways to use it. The back story on it is cool, guy used to build custom pizza ovens across the UK, and came up with this. I was choosing between that and a Uuni, the Roccbox through Williams Sonoma was a better option.

I use the sear on steaks and other meats that i want to get a crust, as a zone when I don't need heat and the opposite, when I want higher heat in the grill I leave off a trellis and use that to get some real temps indirectly.

I built a modular outdoor kitchen myself, using NewAge products out of Canada. Have been very happy with it. I also wanted the option to rearrange the patio should I choose, or add if I needed more.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I still grin every single time I use our outdoor kitchen in the ramada and it's so excellent when we have folks over for a cookout like we did with the brisket and chickens a few weeks ago.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stayed at a vacation house last week that had a really nice Webber gas grill which I used several times. After having grilled exclusively over charcoal in a Kamado for the last 6 or 7 years, I would never go back to gas. Doesn't get hot enough or at least doesn't seem to char as well.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In other steak related news, I have been on a high protein diet the last several weeks and have lost 10 lbs. Have been eating nothing huge steaks, pork chops etc every day, along with vegetables, a little fruit and legumes. Steak on grill brethren!

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stayed at a vacation house last week that had a really nice Webber gas grill which I used several times. After having grilled exclusively over charcoal in a Kamado for the last 6 or 7 years, I would never go back to gas. Doesn't get hot enough or at least doesn't seem to char as well.

In a world where all i did was grill, i would choose charcoal for flavor but modern gas grills get just as hot if not hotter. IR can get up to 1000 degrees or hotter. I believe standard charcoal tops out 700.

aelred

Reaction score
In other steak related news, I have been on a high protein diet the last several weeks and have lost 10 lbs. Have been eating nothing huge steaks, pork chops etc every day, along with vegetables, a little fruit and legumes. Steak on grill brethren!

I've been doing strict keto since mid-late June and am down 55#. Ditch the fruit, legumes, and anything with carbs, and keep enjoying the steak!

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I'm going to suggest this is grill dependent. I mean, my Lynx hits 900F pretty easily.

reidd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're probably right about the grill. I'm sure top of the line stuff gets amazingly hot. Part of it is that I realized how much I also just love ******* with the charcoal.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
On Saturday afternoon I love my KJ and charcoal. On Wednesday evening I love my Lynx. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics