• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure they won't be hard to make but next weekend going to try chicken fried steaks. Will make a nice country gravy to go with and think I'll either elote up some corn or maybe back off some Brussels.
what are you doing for batter?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Deciding if i should give this a spin to scratch my charcoal itch...

4A70AF3A-ED65-4DEC-93EF-559701F8E413.png

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
dcfca269bc660747e6107ea7d1a3542a420733062f0e1adf227ddcc0690e7961.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Add wood.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m worried about the utility. I dont see an easy way to manage heat since it appears it would be one even layer of charcoal. Of course i could use the trellis burner zone but that seems to defeat the purpose.

Also, wondering if I want to add another sear burner other than the one overhead.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
From Sunday night, finishing up my blanched veggie medley.

Not pictured: The sake I drank with it and the pan gravy.

edit: The little maggot looking things are dried rosemary as I don't buy fresh herbs generally.

0XUgTwB.jpg

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never just burn charcoal, always add wood. Or buy seasoned wood chunks (Central Market or HEB carry a good selection) and burn it down to coals and use that. Kamados are great with either.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Hestan grill from BBQ Guys three years ago and it is one incredible grill. Well designed top to bottom. Have the wood chip burning tube, but have yet to use it. That charcoal attachment looks cool as well. I rounded out my outdoor kitchen with a fridge, and a Roccbox, which is just amazing.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is as cool as it looks, and really does the job. I haven't made my own dough yet, but the preformed doughs i get work well. I need to find premade 00 flour doughs, as those would cook really nicely in there. The thing gets scorching hot with a flame that rolls over the top, and given the kids and time restrictions, the propane option is great! I haven't used the wood burning box yet.

Beckwith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Caveat, I heat it for 15-20 mins before cook. Because it heats to such a high temp, pizza in 60 seconds and a very quick recovery to make another. You can crank out 4-5 in about 10-12 minutes.

Pizza in 60 seconds? ****.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Hestan grill from BBQ Guys three years ago and it is one incredible grill. Well designed top to bottom. Have the wood chip burning tube, but have yet to use it. That charcoal attachment looks cool as well. I rounded out my outdoor kitchen with a fridge, and a Roccbox, which is just amazing.

Agree - it is amazing. I was going back and forth between hestan and lynx and couldnt be happier. I had the privilege of using a kalamazoo this past weekend and the hestan is just as good for gas grilling but i have to admit the charcoal slide out trays on the kalamazoo are next level.

Do you have sear burners or trellis burner? I did all trellis and use the top mount rotisserie sear burner to get that unbeatable IR sear, but wonder if i should swap out one trellis for another IR just for fun.

I am intrigued by the charcoal insert but am still wondering how much utility it has. I feel like i would only be able to use for high heat. Maybe wood chips and put food in another zone to smoke?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads