• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few hours to go in a pan and glazed.
78836017-89EB-4310-8017-6F7FCC44F616.jpeg

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Headed to a new steakhouse tonight and wanted to see if anyone has experience with long dry-aged restaurant steaks. For example, the menu has a 45 Day Dry Aged Akaushi Bone-In Ribeye 32oz for 2 for $115. The same steak aged for 90 days is $135 and aged for 150 days is $170. I have been to dozens of high end steakhouses and never see this on a menu.

My question, is this bullshit? Will dry ageing it longer make that much of a difference?
At David Burke’s Prime House in Chicago I had a 48 day aged bone-in rib eye, and it was amazing. Incredibly tender with complex flavors I had never experienced before. I’d definitely do the 45 day, and go back for the others until you find the sweet spot for your taste buds.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pretty ******* good at 45 days. The owner actually took us back to the dry age freezer for a look. Smells awful.
I'd be wary of trying some of those super aged stuff until you know you like those ultra aged character. Sometimes it can overwhelm the steak (and those added flavors can sometimes be really funky)

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a local butcher who brings in whole animal, and dry ages full ribs at 120+ days. It really just intensifies the aged flavor, which if you like can be great. They do not always do a perfect job removing all of the rancid fat and mold, which if you do not do, can make for an unpleasant experience.

I always look for and do some additional trimming at home before I season and cook. As long as you or the restaurant trims well, it should be great. Again presuming you like the flavor of aged beef.

DL-

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Outside at 7a, 29 degrees F, to fire up the Big Joe and start beef cheeks and pork butt for tonight's taco fest. About eight hours from now will have shredded and crisped pork carnitas and shredded beef cheeks for stuffings with all the fixings on the table for folks to make their own. Hand tossed flour tortillas from a little old lady that has a cart/kiosk outside of the carniceria I use.

9BA59904-43F9-4B53-A4B8-D1B48E72D7DE.jpeg
85D5C70A-D3C1-41D2-B227-F0D3C643F90F.jpeg

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Had a superb 8-hour-roasted prime rib at The Whaling Station in Monterey this weekend. A real old-school joint. Started with the prime rib egg rolls just to be consistent. Oh boy, I could eat a bucket of those, then die happy.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have a local butcher who brings in whole animal, and dry ages full ribs at 120+ days. It really just intensifies the aged flavor, which if you like can be great. They do not always do a perfect job removing all of the rancid fat and mold, which if you do not do, can make for an unpleasant experience.

I always look for and do some additional trimming at home before I season and cook. As long as you or the restaurant trims well, it should be great. Again presuming you like the flavor of aged beef.

DL-

That steakhouse just opened a butcher shop on the mall side where they just started selling the dry aged beef for home cooking. I really don't have much interest in beef dry aged over 60 days because it sounds kinda nasty. Count me out anytime a process can potentially lead to an unpleasant experience.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing @Piobaire 's taco bbq reminded me of my very favorite steak taco recipe. (Esquire used to have a lot of great recipes). The secret, just make sure the cut of meat isn't tough or gristly and use this easy to make rub with blended spices. Top with all your usual taco favorites including fresh squeezed lime. I also like to use smoked Spanish paprika for additional flavor.

I make up a big batch of the rub (3 or 4x the amount) and keep it in a sealed container so its ready for a quick round of beef tacos.

https://www.esquire.com/food-drink/food/recipes/a6176/steak-tacos-recipe-ll-0307/

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have always thought reverse-sear means you sear before cook, and regular sear means searing after cooking. I just looked at a treager recipe for reverse seared pork chops that calls for cooking before searing.

My question. On a scale of 1-50, how right or wrong am I?

brokencycle

Reaction score
I have always thought reverse-sear means you sear before cook, and regular sear means searing after cooking. I just looked at a treager recipe for reverse seared pork chops that calls for cooking before searing.

My question. On a scale of 1-50, how right or wrong am I?

500 wrong. Reverse sear has always been cook slow first and sear at the end.

This is because traditionally you seared first to "seal in the juices"

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After reading this thread earlier it inspired me to pick up a couple of prime NY steaks to BBQ tonight. Serving it with an iceburg wedge, red onion, tomatoes and a nice Cesar dressing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads