• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You ability to name that steakhouse is uncanny.
I would never agree to move to any city without first conducting a thorough audit of its better steak places.

(Who am I kidding, I go where I'm told.)

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
steak.PNG

2.5" ribeye. Reverse sear in the oven. Gradient?

I'm coming around on reverse sear over sous vide, get a better crust because of reducing surface moisture. A little more work but easy enough with a leave in thermometer.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
View attachment 1796955

2.5" ribeye. Reverse sear in the oven. Gradient?

I'm coming around on reverse sear over sous vide, get a better crust because of reducing surface moisture. A little more work but easy enough with a leave in thermometer.

that doneness looks good to me and I am sure you enjoyed it but this is styleforum and based on styleforum standards, you should have gone straight to the garbage can with that, completely bypass the dog.

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that doneness looks good to me and I am sure you enjoyed it but this is styleforum and based on styleforum standards, you should have gone straight to the garbage can with that, completely bypass the dog.

Some people might like raw cow with a sear (looks good on camera too), but I like getting the fat rendered on my fattier steaks like the ribeye. I might even go closer to medium (shock).

Also Jamon and Shabu gotta eat. Why bypass the dogs?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am stuck on sous vide out of convenience and expediency. Despite the precision, I’m not convinced it is the absolute best method.

I can buy a tray of prime beef at Costco, portion and season, and then freeze everything I’m not eating right away.

When it comes time to eat another steak, just drop the bag in the water, no thawing necessary.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cut matters when determining preferential level of doneness, IMO.

i am a medium rare guy for strips, medium for ribeye, and rare for the occasional filet. Rare to medium rare for hanger, skirt, flatiron (otherwise it gets tough).

while this is obviously subjective, i do think that at minimum the intramuscular fat needs to render. The fat cap isnt for me and neither are large pockets of fat (why i prefer strip to ribeye, but get that some people do). I use it to grease my pan and cook the steak in its own fat.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is this the point in the thread where everyone turns against common wizdumb while forming a new common wizdumb?

FWIW I try never to cook past medium rare and occasionally go for rare.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am stuck on sous vide out of convenience and expediency. Despite the precision, I’m not convinced it is the absolute best method.

I can buy a tray of prime beef at Costco, portion and season, and then freeze everything I’m not eating right away.

When it comes time to eat another steak, just drop the bag in the water, no thawing necessary.

what is best is subjective:hide:

i am in the camp of reverse sear although as i have mentioned sometimes i also just like to cook on the grill and… gasp… actually have been known to enjoy the gradient.

One of the best steaks I have had out in recent memory was cooked in a neopolitan pizza oven at our favorite pizza place as a special. It had plenty of gradient and was plenty amazing.

i have toyed with sous vide recently and think it is great for large dinner parties but is not my favorite… i prefer the roasty notes and better crust of reverse sear… although I will say if you dry well and have a professional grade burner and/or IR burner this can mostly be mitigated.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this the point in the thread where everyone turns against common wizdumb while forming a new common wizdumb?

FWIW I try never to cook past medium rare and occasionally go for rare.

no. IMO reverse sear is still king… for me.

re: temp, the melting point of beef fat and medium rare are roughly the same… the trouble for me is that this just means the fat has started to render but has a long way to go before fully rendering, at which point the steak would be overcooked. This is mitigated by slightly raising the temp of the steak if it is a f-atty cut, like ribeye.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasnt planning on this today but got inspired… two 2 inch thick dry aged bone in strips (one is almost a t-bone which will be fun to gnaw on after i’ve had one or two chardonnays) are salting in the fridge for later… trimmed some of the fat cap and have it rendering on the stove.

F521F0E6-A819-4670-A1E0-10FCDDCB8F0A.jpeg
523739AD-04F4-47A0-9E89-BFDD88135C03.jpeg

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wasnt planning on this today but got inspired… two 2 inch thick dry aged bone in strips (one is almost a t-bone which will be fun to gnaw on after i’ve had one or two chardonnays) are salting in the fridge for later… trimmed some of the fat cap and have it rendering on the stove.

View attachment 1797091 View attachment 1797092
just char the fat cap and eat as an appetizer, right?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads