• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I use safflower oil for frying - it has a quite high smoke point and is neutral in flavor.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seed oils are no bueno. Lots of nasty oxidation products from the unstable double carbon bonds. Use leaf lard or beef tallow (from suet fat, preferably). Also tastes better!

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So avocado oil no bueno? I don’t deep fry (in general) but like organic Avo oil for high heat searing. Just experimenting with organic Ghee after way too long - seems solid for butter basting post sous vide at high heat.

Last edited:

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So avocado oil no bueno? I don’t deep fry (in general) but like organic Avo oil for high heat searing. Just experimenting with organic Ghee after way too long - seems solid for butter basting post sous vide at high heat.
Avocado and olive oils are cold pressed from fruit rather than industrially rendered from seeds, and are primarily monounsaturated rather than polyunsaturated, so they are definitely the better plant fat options.

jcman311

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avocado and olive oils are cold pressed from fruit rather than industrially rendered from seeds, and are primarily monounsaturated rather than polyunsaturated, so they are definitely the better plant fat options.
Are they high in omegas? :crackup:

Girardian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I have read you definitely want to stay away from canola oil. I buy more expensive oils which may be part of the reason why I rarely deep fry. Over the holidays I do a little, including digging up historic recipes for things like Spudnuts or ableSkivers, or rosettes. I do make shallow fry dishes on occasion, like schnitzel. I can’t remember the last time I fried in animal fat other than duck fat for potatoes. I do use copious amounts of butter but this is not for high temp cooking like frying.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Vegetable is my preferred oil for frying. I've used peanut as well with good results. For the most part I only fry chicken piccata, but have been experimenting with frying BBQ items recently.
are you deep frying chicken piccata? I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 olive oil. you gotta pound them cutlets thin, then like 2-3 minutes on each side.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you deep frying chicken piccata? I use 1/2 butter and 1/2 olive oil. you gotta pound them cutlets thin, then like 2-3 minutes on each side.

Tbh I'm not sure deep fry is the correct term simply because I never submerge the cutlets. I do pound them flat and the oil usually covers the bottom half of the chicken and I flip after a couple of minutes.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do pound them flat and the oil usually covers the bottom half and I flip after a couple of minutes.

46E4C923-582E-41EA-9B46-578753B0F5BD.gif

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Seed oils are no bueno. Lots of nasty oxidation products from the unstable double carbon bonds. Use leaf lard or beef tallow (from suet fat, preferably). Also tastes better!
Do you have any information on this?

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have any information on this?
Oh God yes -- I can bang on about it for hours but should probably spare the rest of StyFo. Will PM you some references.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads