• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something a bit different. A Northern Irish Shorthorn t-bone.

I typically don't like doing t-bones, they're too difficult to cook evenly given the fillet is so small compared to the sirloin (strip for you lot in the US). Plus, when cooking, the bone sticks out and prevents the meat from getting a good sear. But the missus has been nagging on me to get her a fillet for a few months now (which is not a cut I enjoy), and I thought this was a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

Anyway, here's the result - nothing too sexy here to see but still not bad.

IMG_7038.JPEG

IMG_7052.jpeg

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something a bit different. A Northern Irish Shorthorn t-bone.

I typically don't like doing t-bones, they're too difficult to cook evenly given the fillet is so small compared to the sirloin (strip for you lot in the US). Plus, when cooking, the bone sticks out and prevents the meat from getting a good sear. But the missus has been nagging on me to get her a fillet for a few months now (which is not a cut I enjoy), and I thought this was a good way to kill two birds with one stone.

Anyway, here's the result - nothing too sexy here to see but still not bad.

View attachment 1687318
View attachment 1687321

That's why you get a porterhouse, bigger fillet.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's why you get a porterhouse, bigger fillet.
Yeah, those are very few and far between. Haven't seen one in ages actually, you don't see many butchers over here doing proper porterhouses. But hey, smaller fillet = better strip. :) Fine by me.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This beast of a steak was on sale at my local butcher's today:

IMG_7219.JPEG

I couldn't help but take a picture. At £100/kg it was a bit too much for my weekly steak indulgence, but oh my just look at it. The marbling, the 4 months' worth of aging, the size of the bloody thing.

Shame they're refusing to remove the outer cap - at this size it's too big for any pan I can put it in.

Instead, I got a more modest Finnish Simmental at half the price. Still very attractive, I'll show that off tomorrow. I have a nasty feeling of regret though - I hate settling for second best.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm actually more impressed with the Finnish Simmental rib-eye.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imperial is the best, just ask Liberia and Myanmar. Do not ask any other country on earth.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What oil would you use for this?

Vegetable is my preferred oil for frying. I've used peanut as well with good results. For the most part I only fry chicken piccata, but have been experimenting with frying BBQ items recently.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads