• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How does this work? Will you take the steaks out of the pan and allow them to rest somewhere while you heat the pan up on the stove top to smoking point?

That’s what I was thinking. One less thing to clean.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s what I was thinking. One less thing to clean.

use the rack/sheet pan. It will allow for air circulation and more even cooking. Line the sheet pan with foil. Clean up should be minimal.

edit: you should be using a sheet pan/rack for pre-salting and putting in the fridge for at least a few hours (preferably overnight) anyway so you are already having to clean the rack/sheet pan. This step is critical for both seasoning as well as to dry out the exterior of the protein, creating a pellicle, which will allow for a better/faster sear.

butter baste the steak after the flip on the reverse sear. You can add herbs/garlic at this point as well if you like but dont baste for longer than it takes to get a good crust (45 seconds to a minute) or else you will get gradient/overcooked steak. When i do this (which isnt often, i prefer no butter on my steak, esp dry aged) I sometimes add a splash of wine to the butter after i remove the steak to deglaze the fond from the sear.

the rest of your technique with regard to temp is spot on.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Last night I had a superb reverse-seared Finnish Simmental ribeye. Full of flavour, incredibly tender for an ex-dairy grass-fed animal. Some eye candy below.
View attachment 1609602
View attachment 1609603 View attachment 1609604
Im guessing you live in an EU member state and your butcher identifies which country the beef comes from? I'm really just curious about the logistics here. Do you prefer vaca vieja? Especially dairy cows? Thanks in advance.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I’m probably the only guy here that does not like dry aged steaks. Or rather the 30-90 days dry aged. I don’t like the “funky” smell or aftertaste.

These are 14 day dry aged. At room temp, they are firm, but no funk. To me that is the ideal.

BFFEFFF2-2996-42D7-ABFC-1F432EBAC6DA.jpeg

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I’m probably the only guy here that does not like dry aged steaks. Or rather the 30-90 days dry aged. I don’t like the “funky” smell or aftertaste.

These are 14 day dry aged. At room temp, they are firm, but no funk. To me that is the ideal.

View attachment 1609685
I feel you on the funk. I had one over the summer that was like super dry aged and while I liked it I could easily see how it would be too much.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Why does it look like those steaks were victims of acupuncture?

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
its my 12 year old. He like to puncture with a fork and put worchestire sauce on them. He watches a lot of TikTok.
post back pictures of the grey/gradient color you get from the steaks being "wet" when you cook them, people love that look on here! ?

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1609685

IME, the funk starts at around 30 days. I love dry aged, but can see why some dont.

brokencycle

Reaction score

View attachment 1609685

Not the only one. I wouldn't do anything dry aged longer than 14 days.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Best steak I ever had was one I carved from the desiccated carcass I came across while 4x4'ing across some open graze pasture.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics