• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, bear. Fixed.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Picked up another two pounds of wagyu NY strip to cook up tomorrow night. Thinking to try a reverse sear this time.

Any pointers? It’s 2.75 inches thick. Was planning to roast in oven at 200F until 115F in the center, perhaps in the same cast iron pan that I will use to sear it after. I’ve seen the guidance to use a rack and baking sheet, but does this really matter?

Also, normally, when I sear first, I just melt butter over the steaks when they are finishing in the oven so that it combines with the drippings to ultimately be used as a sauce.

I’d rather avoid the hassle of making a sauce separately.

How can I replicate something like this when doing reverse sear? Melt butter over the steaks when they are first in the oven?

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up another two pounds of wagyu NY strip to cook up tomorrow night. Thinking to try a reverse sear this time.

Any pointers? It’s 2.75 inches thick. Was planning to roast in oven at 200F until 115F in the center, perhaps in the same cast iron pan that I will use to sear it after. I’ve seen the guidance to use a rack and baking sheet, but does this really matter?

Also, normally, when I sear first, I just melt butter over the steaks when they are finishing in the oven so that it combines with the drippings to ultimately be used as a sauce.

How can I replicate something like this when doing reverse sear? Melt butter over the steaks when they are first in the oven?

Butter has a low smoke point, but even if you kept the pan's temp under 300F, it would create too much fat and drown the flavor of your steak. If you must, you could put butter on the steak while it rests. But I'd strongly recommend not doing this as a regular thing for health reasons.

Also Foo, you are seriously overpaying for these steaks. (If it's a convenience thing, that's fine, but I'd personally come to your apartment with superior $50 worth of 2.5 pound of steaks and pocket a cool c-note).

What are you doing for your sauces exactly? I think you really might like doing a pepper steak in the French style. A steak I had once at a bistrot calls to mind what you're going for. I cannot vouch for the recipes below, but it's a start if you've just been improvising your sauces. I might actually try to replicate what I had, but I'm guessing it will take a lot of work, because the French.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Butter has a low smoke point, but even if you kept the pan's temp under 300F, it would create too much fat and drown the flavor of your steak. If you must, you could put butter on the steak while it rests. But I'd strongly recommend not doing this as a regular thing for health reasons.

Also Foo, you are seriously overpaying for these steaks. (If it's a convenience thing, that's fine, but I'd personally come to your apartment with superior $50 worth of 2.5 pound of steaks and pocket a cool c-note).

What are you doing for your sauces exactly? I think you really might like doing a pepper steak in the French style. A steak I had once at a bistrot calls to mind what you're going for. I cannot vouch for the recipes below, but it's a start if you've just been improvising your sauces. I might actually try to replicate what I had, but I'm guessing it will take a lot of work, because the French.

Butter on the resting steak is what Luger does. Sounds nice and lazy. Maybe that’s what I’ll do. Luger at it’s best is one of my favorite steak experiences and inspires how I try to do my steaks, except I aim for better consistency and a better sear.

I was not suggesting searing the steak in butter—exactly as you say, the smoke point is too low. I usually let the butter melt over the already seared steaks as they finish in the oven.

What makes you say the steaks I’m getting are severely overpriced? Certainly I am paying some premium for buying local from a B&M in downtown Manhattan, but from what I’ve seen, it is a fair price for the quality. Non dry-aged American wagyu NY strip or ribeye is $45 per pound. 60-day dry aged is $60 per pound. Where are the much cheaper alternatives?

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are the much cheaper alternatives?

Yonkers/Connecticut/Hidden spots in Bronx. Given you're downtown though, that's unrealistic. You might consider doing a wholesale order delivery from the Bronx. Since COVID, it's really easy to get wholesale orders to your home. I don't do this because I literally inspect/raid departments before purchasing, but if I was smack in the middle of downtown, I'd for sure take the plunge and try it out. I feel kind of stupid for not doing it, but my OCD won't allow it.

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last night I had a superb reverse-seared Finnish Simmental ribeye. Full of flavour, incredibly tender for an ex-dairy grass-fed animal. Some eye candy below.
IMG_5271.jpeg

IMG_5273.jpeg
IMG_5279.jpeg

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any pointers?
Best advice I can give is to get yourself a meat thermometer - it removes all the guesswork. After you take the steak out of the oven, by the time you put it on the pan/grill to sear, the internal temp will have risen (4-5C, depending on your oven and size of steak) so something to bear in mind. I find that the internal temp does not rise too much while the steak is on the pan - rather, the heat from the crust warms up the middle after you take it off the fire (which means another 4-5C degree increase in temp at least).

Last edited:

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Best advice I can give is to get yourself a meat thermometer - it removes all the guesswork. After you take the steak out of the oven, by the time you put it on the pan/grill to sear, the internal temp will have risen (4-5C, depending on your oven and size of steak) so something to bear in mind. I find that the internal temp does not rise too much while the steak is on the pan - rather, the heat from the crust warms up the middle after you take it off the fire (which means another 4-5C degree increase in temp at least).

Thanks—already have a Thermopen. When I do the traditional method (sear first and then oven finish), I take the steak out of the oven when it hits 125F, as it usually goes up another 5 degrees after and I like it at around 130F ultimately.

I’ve been reading that with reverse sear, I should take it out of the oven 15 degrees lower than desired final temperature (i.e. 115F for 130F at finish).

te0o

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve been reading that with reverse sear, I should take it out of the oven 15 degrees lower than desired final temperature (i.e. 115F for 130F at finish).
That sounds about right - will depend on how long you keep it on the pan.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How does this work? Will you take the steaks out of the pan and allow them to rest somewhere while you heat the pan up on the stove top to smoking point?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads