• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
View attachment 1569301
@TheFoo

Taken today while grocery shopping at HEB. I didn’t realize there would be a huge spread between ribeye and NY strip. I usually see the prices pretty close to each other.

NGL, the SRF I've been getting looks superior to that and it's coming in about $19/lb.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the price talk stuff is hard because price varies tremendously based on grade and degree of age. Also, IMO a really good piece of beef from a place that is consistent is worth paying a premium and butchers know this.

I am in a nyc suburb but have a few butchers i still use in the city. Pricing is comparable.

In general I only buy dry aged steak, the exception being large prime primals from costco when they look really good. I dont find ribeye vs strip to be very different in price, porterhouse tends to be more expensive but I am not a fan so cant speak to it.

My local butcher does 30 day dry aged for 25 bucks a pound or so. My “old local” butchers in nyc are comparable.

i also use pat la frieda because they have 60 day dry aged. I enjoy them but i know those who disagree. Not the best, but a very good and consistent product IMO and one of the few places around me that does such an aggressive dry age. I just checked and their 60 day is 47 bucks a pound.

i dont use lobels but they are known for being super pricey. They dont advertise duration, but their dry aged strips are 70 bucks a pound.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
View attachment 1569301
@TheFoo

Taken today while grocery shopping at HEB. I didn’t realize there would be a huge spread between ribeye and NY strip. I usually see the prices pretty close to each other.

the price talk stuff is hard because price varies tremendously based on grade and degree of age. Also, IMO a really good piece of beef from a place that is consistent is worth paying a premium and butchers know this.

I am in a nyc suburb but have a few butchers i still use in the city. Pricing is comparable.

In general I only buy dry aged steak, the exception being large prime primals from costco when they look really good. I dont find ribeye vs strip to be very different in price, porterhouse tends to be more expensive but I am not a fan so cant speak to it.

My local butcher does 30 day dry aged for 25 bucks a pound or so. My “old local” butchers in nyc are comparable.

i also use pat la frieda because they have 60 day dry aged. I enjoy them but i know those who disagree. Not the best, but a very good and consistent product IMO and one of the few places around me that does such an aggressive dry age. I just checked and their 60 day is 47 bucks a pound.

i dont use lobels but they are known for being super pricey. They dont advertise duration, but their dry aged strips are 70 bucks a pound.

Also, hard to tell from the photo, but the marbling of the NY strips looks a bit underwhelming for American wagyu.

Our second cut last night looked like this, for comparison:

72A8EC52-2DCF-4D0E-A849-9C3ADCC976C1.jpeg

We have typically used Pino’s in Soho or Ottomanelli’s on Bleecker for steak, duck, pork, etc. However, recently we’ve been going to Japan Premium Beef on Great Jones in Noho for wagyu.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like ottomanelli’s as well. Both on Bleecker and the UES. They are unrelated but also related in true NYC fashion. (Family dissent, but same family)

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, hard to tell from the photo, but the marbling of the NY strips looks a bit underwhelming for American wagyu.

Our second cut last night looked like this, for comparison:

View attachment 1569378

We have typically used Pino’s in Soho or Ottomanelli’s on Bleecker for steak, duck, pork, etc. However, recently we’ve been going to Japan Premium Beef on Great Jones in Noho for wagyu.
Most guys who are relatively new to grilling or cooking steaks at home make the mistake of falling into the American Wagyu trap and paying up. Half the time American Wagyu is pretty average. Since wagyu isn’t a grade it isn’t a magic bullet to get a good steak. Unless a guy knows exactly what he’s picking or has a butcher he trusts, most guys are better served by sticking to prime or an aged prime so they don’t end up buying over priced meat because theres a name on the label.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most guys who are relatively new to grilling or cooking steaks at home make the mistake of falling into the American Wagyu trap and paying up. Half the time American Wagyu is pretty average. Since wagyu isn’t a grade it isn’t a magic bullet to get a good steak. Unless a guy knows exactly what he’s picking or has a butcher he trusts, most guys are better served by sticking to prime or an aged prime so they don’t end up buying over priced meat because theres a name on the label.

Agreed and makes sense. JPB supplies the Bohemian, a connected restaurant we’ve eaten at many times, so we’ve tried a lot of the steak. That builds some confidence.

The only way I am able to judge the steak on its own is the marbling. What we got is far more marbled than what I see in any USDA Prime I can remember. It also has that wagyu-like marbling pattern. The cheaper stuff in Texasmade’s photo does not look the same to me.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Crust seems pretty good on this SRF I made.

1CBEE11C-4AC8-484A-857D-E7D992A97F47.jpeg

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@TheFoo et. al -- You ever go to Kobe? What are your spots?

Any other REAL SPOTS for teh meat? Northern Italy, etc. Name your spots.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
*sigh*

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can’t read this thread without hearing Carly Simon singing;

“you’re so vain...I bet you think this thread is about you...don’t you ...don’t you”

Last edited:

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
I don’t eat much red meat and the wife is a vegetarian anyways, but I did whatever Foo told me to do and this is how it turned out. Some tweaks to be made but overall it came out far more consistent and easier than I would have initially thought.

4C0D737F-D328-4840-A098-73997EF14DA3.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads