• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, today’s cut was even nicer than yesterday’s:

View attachment 1568918

I had them cut it 2.5 inches thick. Came out to about $90 for two pounds. Is that a horrible price or okay? So jaded dealing with NYC food costs.

looks wonderful. Im in the same area and price seems about right. Out of curiosity, is it dry aged?

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, fwiw, i like the love for the strip. I prefer it to the ribeye but feel i am in the minrority.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You’re right in that you undercook a bit prior to the final sear, but the process if consistent. For arguments sake, you cook 10 degrees less than final temp and then sear, but you then do this every time.

I’d have to experiment and iterate to get it right, but then that would be given a particular set of variables. Not sure I’d ever be comfortable switching it up should I want to do a different cut or use someone else’s oven, stove, etc.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
We don't really care about price here as we're not trying to impress anyone. Check that. We like to tell each other about getting things on sale.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d have to experiment and iterate to get it right, but then that would be given a particular set of variables. Not sure I’d ever be comfortable switching it up should I want to do a different cut or use someone else’s oven, stove, etc.

Hey man - your meat, your choice. But i think the trade offs are evident. Just a matter of personal preference.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By the way, today’s cut was even nicer than yesterday’s:

View attachment 1568918

I had them cut it 2.5 inches thick. Came out to about $90 for two pounds. Is that a horrible price or okay? So jaded dealing with NYC food costs.
Idk about NYC prices but $90 for 2lbs is a lot in Houston. Even if you get top quality stuff, the price would be like half that here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The more you pay the better it tastes. TRUTH.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
looks wonderful. Im in the same area and price seems about right. Out of curiosity, is it dry aged?

Not dry-aged. They had dry-aged American wagyu ribeye for $65 per pound, but sold-out of aged NY strip.

Also, fwiw, i like the love for the strip. I prefer it to the ribeye but feel i am in the minrority.

Historically, I was a ribeye guy myself. But then I realized the parts I really love are the rind and tip. The center is often boring or even a chore to get through. In contrast, the whole NY strip is nice.

Plus, for family sharing, NY strip splits into slices more evenly.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
We don't really care about price here as we're not trying to impress anyone. Check that. We like to tell each other about getting things on sale.

This is where you pick a fight with me over a phantom issue, right? I wasn’t bragging about the price. Quite the opposite, actually. I asked whether it seemed reasonable for what I got. I’m willing to pay some premium for the convenience of using one my neighborhood butchers, but maybe not a multiple!

Idk about NYC prices but $90 for 2lbs is a lot in Houston. Even if you get top quality stuff, the price would be like half that here.

For wagyu as well?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
This is where you pick a fight with me over a phantom issue right? I wasn’t bragging about the price. Quite the opposite, actually. I asked whether it seemed reasonable for what I got. I’m willing to pay some premium for the convenience of using one my neighborhood butchers, but maybe not a multiple!

For wagyu as well?

The fight was already picked when you entered this thread under the guise of asking advice and then immediately dismissed all advice. It's ******* rote.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fight was already picked when you entered this thread under the guise of asking advice and then immediately dismissed all advice. It's ******* rote.

Right, I’m the one who starts threads asking for advice about Eames lounge chairs and hundreds of posts later winds up picking a Costco knock-off because “it’s just as good.” Or who spends time in a car thread making fun of car enthusiasm.

For the record, you started this here, not me. I came here to talk about steak. I showed some pictures. I learned some stuff. If you find issue with that, ****-off.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Broseph, it's here for all to read. You asked for advice about your $45 a pound steak and immediately starting arguing with all the advice given you in good faith. As I said, it's rote.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Yes, I'm so dumb. So peak Foo.

**** off. Seriously, **** off.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads