• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bone marrow - how could I forget that one. Serious braised dishes too.

i have never cooked bone marrow. Need to give that a spin. I can't imagine its that difficult.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oysters, sweetbreads, onglet, salt cod, pata negra, steak tartare, cassoulet.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Can't remember if you have a pellet pooper or not but marrow bones on the Traegar at low temp for 30-40 minutes? Spread on maybe some homemade focaccia or a fresh toasted slice of French bread? Oh yeah.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Oysters, sweetbreads, onglet, salt cod, pata negra, steak tartare, cassoulet.

Sweetbreads and tartare. Omission on my part.

Had the most awesome sweetbreads at Cannon Bar in Seattle, the one Boudreau owns and has the world's greatest number of bottlings. So good four of us ended up ordering three portions during our drink fest.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't remember if you have a pellet pooper or not but marrow bones on the Traegar at low temp for 30-40 minutes? Spread on maybe some homemade focaccia or a fresh toasted slice of French bread? Oh yeah.

i dont but i can give that a try with 1 of 4 grill sections on charcoal/wood chips and do an indirect cook.

my two favorite bone marrow dishes to date are a fussii with bone marrow and octopus ragu and bone marrow with oxtail jam.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sweetbreads and tartare. Omission on my part.

Had the most awesome sweetbreads at Cannon Bar in Seattle, the one Boudreau owns and has the world's greatest number of bottlings. So good four of us ended up ordering three portions during our drink fest.

sweetbreads!!! That was a glaring ommission on my part. Good call.

i like tartare too but i like to think i make a pretty good one myself and I am picky about grind (i actually prefer hand chopped).

not surprisingly i think most of my hot button items are things I dont make myself for whatever reason.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On bone marrow, I used to work near the Hawksmoor in Guildhall, London. They did the best breakfast -- bacon chop, pork sausages, black pudding, big split marrow bone with eggs, toast, beans etc. Couple of pints of Guinness with that on the way to the office and you are ready to make some ******* money.

1594525035179.png

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On bone marrow, I used to work near the Hawksmoor in Guildhall, London. They did the best breakfast I've ever experienced -- bacon chop, pork sausages, black pudding, big split marrow bone with eggs, toast, beans etc. Couple of pints of Guinness with that on the way to the office and you are ready to make some ******* money.

View attachment 1422591
Or have a heart attack! Holy **** that’s a lot of food. If I ate that for breakfast I wouldn’t eat anything else for the rest of the day.

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bone marrow - how could I forget that one. Serious braised dishes too.

i have never cooked bone marrow. Need to give that a spin. I can't imagine its that difficult.
Cooked it for the first time tonight. Pop it in the oven for 15 minutes at 450. That's it. I salted and topped with garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and parsley but there are obviously plenty of other options.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Before the Extinction Event for all things beverage and culinary...

One of our favorite haunts became one of our favorite due to one of our favorite bartenders moving to a new spot. The new spot had an awesome young exec chef and we had him while his wife went to our med school and lost him when she got matched out of the city for her internship. He was cut from Bourdain's mould, intelligent, well read, completely unready for normal society. If we were up for a late night we had a standing invite for the crazy **** after the doors were locked.

So, long set up for the story on how the chef would line up roasted split marrow bones, you'd scrape it out onto toast points, and he'd pour vodka down the bone straight into your mouth.

Ahh, good time.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Auto orders if they’re on the menu pretty much regardless of preparation - real deal Japanese wagyu, otoro (well any kind of bluefin), foie gras, game hen, in-season stone crabs, marrow.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I think lobster is overrated in that a lot of very bad lobster gets put out and people still value it at a premium. Now, sous vide butter poached lobster? Better yet use that for a really good salad? Or split tail grilled in shell with something good like a pesto or compound butter? Or this dish I had at Robuchon's, chilled and seasoned butter poached lobster claw slices over caviar and black truffles?

:drool:

But that watery yet leathery stuff passed off by second rate places as a luxury food? Bah.
df5e42ff376951ab0e953c959bf3a664.jpg

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Otoro...good call. Here is Keiji Nakazawa serving is at Sushi Sho housed in the Ritz in Honolulu. Single best sushi experience ever. I was the only white guy in the room outside of the white guy them keep in staff to translate for non-Japanese speakers. Me and my wife were the only people not from Japan at the seating.

1E3E8453-F557-49F8-9F20-0F7A84DDFEEF.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads