• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Snake River NY Strip was on sale for $15 a pound. This was .9 and it is now in mah belly! TJ's harvest medley that I added some sauteed shallots, red bell pepper and garlic to.

4DD29BF3-F0A3-4632-B1F5-D3EE65EFA486.jpeg

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks great! Can't recall if this has been raised or done to death already, but what is everyone's preference between gas or charcoal grilling these days?
I have a small family, and used to grill on a small weber kettle, maybe 10 years or so ago, but got tired of all the fuddling with the charcoal and using a chimney to light it, besides it become kind of cruddy. ;)

That said, the Weber Summit looks faster, bigger, and smoking capable, however, I wonder if it'd still be slow and a hassle at the end of a long day.

I like gas grills, but have not owned one. I realize there are a lot of fancy options, and they look great in stainless steel, with rotisserie options, one touch on and off, etc., however, I wonder how much I'm losing on the taste quotient, if anything, etc.

On a weird note, we eat some meat in my family, but probably would do more fish and vegetable grilling than the usual on this particular purchase. Any words from the wise?
Another endorsement for KJ for steaks and general purpose grilling. With some fire starter cubes and the heat gun torch thing it lights lump and gets up to temp plenty quick. I’ve got the KJ, pellet grill for smoking when I’m feeling lazy and a yoder offset for when I’ve got the time and patience. The pellets don’t get hot enough for me to do steaks well. Looking for a cabinet smoker that’ll burn wood for bigger barbecues/gatherings if anyone has recs.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As someone who loves their fancy gas grill, when it comes to taste, charcoal wins every time. To me this is not debatable.

That being said, the convenience of gas means I grill more and with less hassle. And the sear burner negates the usual issue with gas not searing as well as charcoal.

I did pick up charcoal inserts for my gas grill that scratches the charcoal itch quite nicely. You load it with charcoal, light the charocal with the gas grill and then turn the grill off, essentially creating a charcoal grill. It works great but I still use the gas over charcoal probably 10-1.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
The regs here know my thoughts on a pellet pooper. Look on it as a grill and you'll be disappointed. Look on it as a wood fired convection oven and you'll love it.

For my fellow KJ owners, spend the money on on Signals/Billows. Best. Thing. Ever.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still kicking myself for not incorporating a spot for a KJ when we built the outdoor kitchen.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also - since this is a steak thread, while we are discussing the virtues of gas vs charcoal, it should be noted that most high end steakhouses I have been to use a salamander to get that delicious crust on their steaks. The IR sear burner duplicates that rather well. I had toyed with the idea of an all sear burner model grill, but ultimately decided on just the one (mine is on top of my grill, so it doesnt take up any regular grill real estate). I figure i can always swap out some or all of the trellis burners for IR down the line if feel the need.

So far I have not.

Last edited:

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone needs to do a steak and lobster dish. Hmm. But not ****** lobster.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think lobster is overrated in that a lot of very bad lobster gets put out and people still value it at a premium. Now, sous vide butter poached lobster? Better yet use that for a really good salad? Or split tail grilled in shell with something good like a pesto or compound butter? Or this dish I had at Robuchon's, chilled and seasoned butter poached lobster claw slices over caviar and black truffles?

:drool:

But that watery yet leathery stuff passed off by second rate places as a luxury food? Bah.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think lobster is overrated in that a lot of very bad lobster gets put out and people still value it at a premium. Now, sous vide butter poached lobster? Better yet use that for a really good salad? Or split tail grilled in shell with something good like a pesto or compound butter? Or this dish I had at Robuchon's, chilled and seasoned butter poached lobster claw slices over caviar and black truffles?

:drool:

But that watery yet leathery stuff passed off by second rate places as a luxury food? Bah.

unsurprisingly, we see eye to eye on this. I like lobster I just dont go all google eyed over it as an ingredient like i would for say, good crab or langoustines.

That robuchon dish is amazing as is keller’s butter poached lobster as is humm’s lobster “bisque” as is a perfect lobster roll after a day on the beach. I just feel that as an ingredient on its own it is overrated. As you say, plenty of bad lobster out there. Not to say there isnt plenty of bad everything out there but there is some mystique around lobster i just dont get.

beargonefishing

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lobster X dish is always something I'm very suspect of. Now the truffle X dish is always an automatic order.

Lizard23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That brings up an interesting question. What dishes/ingredients are you most inclined to order?

a few of mine off the top of my head: uni, pastas with crab, rabbit, quail, (game meats in general, really), spinalis, real deal charcuterie...

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lobster X dish is always something I'm very suspect of. Now the truffle X dish is always an automatic order.
Truffles are the culinary equivalent of smegma.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Bone marrow, foie, duck confit, and cuts that need a lot of time at low temp.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads